What's new

Surface Pro 4 Rumored to Include 4K Display, USB Type-C, Skylake Processor & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
microsoft-surface-pro-4.jpg

Now that Microsoft has released Windows 10 to huge fanfare and success, it's time to start thinking about other future products from the Redmond megacorp. Of course, here at this site, our favorite subject is Surface products. We have the latest rumors for the Surface Pro 4 and they are pretty exciting.

Here's the scoop:
  • 12-inch and 14-inch variants
  • Base model to include - 4 GB of RAM, 8,600 mAh battery, USB Type-C and HDMI
  • High-end version - 4K resolution screen, 16 GB of RAM and $1300 pricetag
  • October announcement
Is it time to start doing a Microsoft happy dance yet? :D

Source: TechTimes

cereal killer

Nice!! Surface just keeps better and better...literally. I am curious to see if the 4K rez will make a difference on a 14" screen.

Hope that 4K screen won't cause scaling issues and I'd prefer a fanless design with a 6w tdp CPU. SP3 has thermal issues at max load (thermometer icon) on a very hot summer day without air conditioning.

MoggSquad

As much as a man can wish, I can guarantee the 16gb ram and $1300 price tag is too low.

If it lives up to my hopes I will get a higher end model with a dock and Microsoft Complete warranty to replace my desktop. Just wish they'd finally announce it :-o

• October announcement

MOFO

Wondering if the 14" SP4 might be a bit to big in tablet mode but will probably settle for the 12" .
4K seems a bit crazy at such a small screen sizes, the current models already have beautiful screens.
October can't come fast enough!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know Microsoft released Windows 10 (w bugs galore) but I cannot believe they would release the SP4 w Windows 10 in it's current state. It's one thing to offer a FREE downgrade that you can rollback from, it's an entirely different ballgame to attempt to sell a premium product with the kinds of problems Windows 10 has.

The Skylake hardware should release in or around September timeframe which makes an October/November SP4 release possible from a hardware perspective but the question is will Windows 10 be ready by then or will they have to delay possibly into 2016.

It's looking iffy at best and a premature SP4 launch could severely harm the fledgling Surface.

OTOH Releasing SP4 w Windows 8.1 would be smarter and allow for NOT missing the 2015 Holiday sales cycle even though it would give Windows 10 a black eye (blacker eye).

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is Windows 10 TH2 coming in October which is a major upgrade over TH1...
TH? Terrible Horror? Technical Hazard? Sorry having spent a lot of time working with the military I'm usually pretty good at deciphering acronym names but I got nothing on this one. :)

Temporary Handout?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What we received on the 29th of July was TH1 (Threshold 1), From the TH1 Gold Code a new branch was created TH2 - All of the Insider Builds moving forward are from the TH2 branch (which is currently 105xx).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What we received on the 29th of July was TH1 (Threshold 1), From the TH1 Gold Code a new branch was created TH2 - All of the Insider Builds moving forward are from the TH2 branch (which is currently 105xx).
Ah, ThresHold... thanks that was driving me crazy :)

Last edited:

jrioux

Here's the scoop:
  • October announcement
Is it time to start doing a Microsoft happy dance yet? :D

More wild speculation to whet our appetites, and undermine current sales. Both this article and its source article (http://wccftech.com/surface-pro-4/#ixzz3j5sWMjB4) say that the new SP4 will start at $500, which is inconceivable since the recently released and much lower spec S3 starts at $500. To quote the source article:

"...the Surface Pro 4 will be available in more than one variant, with prices ranging from $500 to $1300."​

This simply strains the credibility of everything the article speculates.