What's new

Surface Pro 4 Pen Help

pcreyn319

I have a new problem after the recent firmware update. First the pen was not recognized at all. Now in One Note 2016, I can write without even touching it to the screen. The pen is now super sensitive. I tried adjusting the sensitivity using the Surface app to no avail. Any ideas? The pen is unusable like this.

upload_2016-1-30_20-3-14.png

Rawbster

Hello - This is exactly the issue I had with my surface pen. I was literally holding my pen about 1/4" from the surface and it was already drawing on the screen. To make things more confusing, a few min earlier it was working just fine. At first I thought maybe it was the battery so I replaced it with a different battery. A few days later the issue came back.

What did "fix" the issue was a reboot of the SP4. However, every few weeks I see this issue again.. Not really a fix if you ask me.. Anyone else have an idea?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Pull the Nib from the front of the pen and then put it back in...that usually fixes it, if not replace the AAAA Battery...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
slightly related query how does one 'pull the nib'? i want to use the nib set but cant see how to change it

Teeth, finger nails, pliers, tweezers, scissors, anything that can gain purchase on the nib without destroying it or chopping it in half. If you already have the nib set, you'll notice that the bottom half is a big pair of plastic tweezers for just this purpose.

clarejenkins

Teeth, finger nails, pliers, tweezers, scissors, anything that can gain purchase on the nib without destroying it or chopping it in half. If you already have the nib set, you'll notice that the bottom half is a big pair of plastic tweezers for just this purpose.
ah that's why it is that funny shape, thankyou

awwshoot

Like everyone else said, pull the nib and reset it. We had to do this all the time on our Dell Latitude XT2s but not yet with the Surface Pro 4s. Unfortunately, I keep having to replace nibs due to them being split/bent/broken due to staff still pressing hard like they used to do on the previous tablets. The Surface Pro 4s are far more sensitive and forgiving!

Staff drops an XT2 pen on the tip and it requires replacing the pen, Staff drops SP4 pen and it requires nib replacement but keep on going. :)