What's new

Surface Pro 4 dock will not pass 5.1 audio

Kidman

I have seen a number of posts on different forums with this same issue, but no solutions so far.

I have a surface pro 4, and just added the dock. when I run the mini displayport from the surface into my AV receiver I get 5.1 audio out, no problem. When I use that same cable out of the dock, I do not get 5.1 audio. Stereo only.

I have the latest windows update, and the latest firmware for the surface and the dock.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Jeff

Turbo4AWD

I have seen a number of posts on different forums with this same issue, but no solutions so far.

I have a surface pro 4, and just added the dock. when I run the mini displayport from the surface into my AV receiver I get 5.1 audio out, no problem. When I use that same cable out of the dock, I do not get 5.1 audio. Stereo only.

I have the latest windows update, and the latest firmware for the surface and the dock.

Anyone found a solution to this?

Jeff

I'm not sure it can pass 5.1 audio. From what I understand, Gen 1 Surface Dock had SEVERAL issues. ESPECIALLY with being underpowered. There is a rumored Gen 2 Surface Dock coming out that has a WAY HIGHER power output, but it's not official yet I think. I am pretty sure that with the new Dock, they have resolved that issue and you can now output 5.1, HOWEVER.....it's via USB C instead of MiniDP.