What's new

Solved Surface Pro 4 and 2 external monitors

RicardoSPro4

Hi I have a Surface Pro 4 and 2 Samsung SE450 monitors I would like to use as well routed through the docking station. I have two mini-Display to VGA adapters for these monitors (Insignia and Rockfish brands). I can make either monitor work, but not both at the same time.When I plug them into the docking station my SP4 only recognizes one at a time. Depending on which mini display port I am plugged into I can identify 1|3 or 1|2 under display settings. If I have both plugged in then just one monitor works and it shows 1|3 when I identify. I get the "Didn't detect another display" when I try to detect other monitors.

Can anyone advise what I can do to get these 2 external monitors to work with my Surface Pro 4?

My ideal state
Plug in the SP4 from the docking station and both monitors work under extended screen mode with Monitor 2 being the main display.

So far:
  • I downloaded and installed the most updated Samsung drivers and see it in device drivers
  • I updated windows 10
  • I did try all the other options from Windows+P including duplicate, extend and second screen only
  • I tried all combinations of making a monitor my main display
  • I tried combinations of plugging the monitors into the docking station and directly into the SP4
thank you!

OP
R

RicardoSPro4

I just checked with my IT department and this update to Win10 10586 from 10240 will be available Nov 16 for me. I will try that and update everyone on the experience. If you want to see which build you are running just goto start (or hit windows key) and type winver

thanks!

OP
R

RicardoSPro4

Resolved! And without the Windows 10 download. There is a third way to set up and manage displays. That is to go through the control panel and detect and manage your external monitors. I do not know why right clicking on the desktop screen and using Display Settings (and Win+P) did not work as the menus lead you to the same options. I am now able to extend my SurfacePro4 across my two external monitors.

thanks for any/all forum responses

Attachments

• ControlPanelDisplayManager.jpg
    ControlPanelDisplayManager.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 3,268