What's new

CrazyRex

Hi everyone,

I hope someone could help me here, cuz I'm starting to feel wicked crazy.
Yesterday, I turned off my Surface Pro 3 as I do almost everyday. It has been on Windows 10 for a week or two. It never crashed before and went pretty smooth til today.
This morning while at work, I tried to turn the tablet on but it wouldn't start. I first tried pressing the power for about 10" but nothing.
Back at home, I've checked the Microsoft support page Surface won’t turn on | Windows won’t start | Troubleshoot Surface battery went through the 3 possibilities without any difference and then decided to call the technical service.
After trying multiply boot/boot forcing/power button including or not the volume up button, pressing the power button over a hundred times ... nothing worked again so they told me to send it back for an exchange.

The problem is, as a professional devices all my customers data, field data, accounting, everything is trapped inside. I know, having a backup is the key but to make the story short I actually had one until I tried the new W10 backup system that off course wiped the data off the micro SD before trying to back up the chosen folders. Yes, trying because all I got is a message saying that the system couldn't backup the chosen files... YAY - and I let it go thinking I would do it later the old copy/paste way...

Just before posting here, I tried to boot up with a Ubuntu bootable USB which saved me a couple time on other machines but that again did not work. (Volume Down Button + Power button)

Now, I'm about to try as being told by the MS Tech Service, a Recovery boot and what I'm afraid of is a total reset of my SP3 when all I want is a wake up sign at least.

What do you suggest?

Thanks a lot for reading

Crazy

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
In Recovery there is Advanced Recovery options one of which puts you at a command prompt... from there copy, xcopy, maybe even robocopy to USB should work.

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

Hey GreyFox,
I tried the USB recovery but the SP3 isn't waking up so I couldn't even reach the Advanced Recovery.
I think it's pretty serious, no more choice, I'm gonna bring it to a local tech service hoping that they will get the essential of the data I need to run my business.
If the community has any other advice that could help I' looking forward to hear it and I'll keep you all posted.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With a paid copy of Macrium Reflect Home edition you can make File Copies...
Might be able to boot their USB recovery drive and copy files you need or copy the partitions then retrieve data from them afterwards. I don't think you can do that with the free version.

Macrium Reflect Free

Or maybe not if you cant get it to boot at all...

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

Yep that's my actual problem, I can't get it into any boot ... Like the SP3's dead or into some deep coma.

I've read something about 3 different state of sleep that the SP3 can fall into but in my case I shut it off manually so I don't think I'm having the same issue. The crazy thing is that the machine worked just fine before turning it off. It really makes no sense to me.

r0b123

Try unplugging the power from the SP3 then reconnect it, and then hold the power button for >10 seconds.

I had this issue once and thought my SP3 was dead too, but after playing with the power, and holding the power button it came back up.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try unplugging the power from the SP3 then reconnect it, and then hold the power button for >10 seconds.

I had this issue once and thought my SP3 was dead too, but after playing with the power, and holding the power button it came back up.
Hold for 30 seconds ... maybe 31 :)

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

I've heard about this issues, my colleague is having the same problem every now and then and that was my first thought before I tried other ways.

Hold for 30 seconds ... maybe 31 :)

I did it too.

You know what guys, just in case, I'm gonna try random things, maybe something will come up.
I'll let you know if something changes, appreciate the help tho. If you have any more suggestion, I'm open for it.
Thanks a lot

Crazy

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

I've been thinking about taking the surface apart to take the SSD then buy a new SP3 and back up my stuff into the new one but :
I have just read this article - How does MS plan to address retrieving data from dead Surface Pros for customers? • /r/Surface
And if I do understand, one of the comments says that even though I take the SSD out, I might not being able to read the files since bitlocker has probably encrypted the drive's data ??? What the hell ??? I like my files safe but these are not some CIA FBI etc secret files for god sake.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, wait 20 seconds, hold the volume rocker up and press the power button (don't hold just press) while holding the volume rocker up, when the Surface Logo comes up let go of the rocker. This will put you into the UEFI screen exit without changing anything and reboot....

OP
CrazyRex

CrazyRex

Hi Jeff,
I tried it twice and I don't see any reaction from the SP3, apparently I'm not the only one case.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been thinking about taking the surface apart to take the SSD then buy a new SP3 and back up my stuff into the new one but :
I have just read this article - How does MS plan to address retrieving data from dead Surface Pros for customers? • /r/Surface
And if I do understand, one of the comments says that even though I take the SSD out, I might not being able to read the files since bitlocker has probably encrypted the drive's data ??? What the hell ??? I like my files safe but these are not some CIA FBI etc secret files for god sake.
Your bitlocker recovery key is stored in your account online assuming it's not domain joined and you use a Microsoft account.. see the article for other options.
BitLocker recovery keys: Frequently asked questions - Windows Help

As far as MS recovering the data... I doubt they would ever do that, more likely refer you to a data recovery service.
However the "sealed" device presents it's unique challenges and yes, backup, backup, backup is the mantra for such devices because locally stored data is subject to a variety of loss scenarios for which there is no simple remedy without a backup.

I have been using File History to backup my files to micro SD. I get the full speed of SSD operation and any files, changes etc. get backed up to my micro SD so it doesn't matter if the network is connected or not. Separate backups protect from device loss or theft.

As for cloud storage... shall you rely on one copy in the cloud? Nope, don't do it. even though most cloud storage is not single instance anyway... deletion gets replicated, then what?