What's new

Surface pro 3 will have an i5-4300U processor, should I wait for the i7?

marcux

So here is the deal, the 4300U i5 we know is in the surface pro 3. but we know nothing about the i7, is it going to be an i7-4500U? if so, it's basically pretty much exactly the same as the i5 in processing power they both have 2 cores, the i5 has a base of 1.9ghz, the 4500U has a base of 1.8ghz. but the 4500U has a 3ghz turbo, with the i5's turbo of 2.9ghz

This is assuming that microsoft will put in a 4500U as the i7. It wouldn't be worth the extra money in my opinion.

Intel Core i7 4500U vs i5 4300U

time will tell. but, concidering power constraits, i'm pretty much betting the i7 will be a 4500U.

Do you think it's worth a 150$ bump in price for a processor that gives less of a bump than the 4200u to 4300u?

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Here you go....

SurfacePro3 CPUs.JPG

i3 and i7 won't be available till August from my understanding....

Last edited:

MCube74

If I were to buy the Surface Pro 3 I will surely get the i7 model.

I5 model is exactly the same as the Surface pro 2. The only difference is a bigger screen and slimmer body. Not sure if it will be a reason for those who have surface Pro 2 to upgrade.

Would like to know the battery life for the Surface Pro 3 i7 model.

Last edited:

beq

It was noted that Intel Haswell U processors (such as the SP2's i5-4300U) can only do 4K resolution at 30Hz refresh via DisplayPort.

I'm guessing there hasn't been any recent changes, and even the top-end i7-4650U for the SP3 still won't be able to do 4K at 60Hz?

MCube74

What is next release from Intel after Haswell and when?

Wonder if it will release in time for the new Surface pro later this year.

MCube74

If Microsoft releases a new Surface every 6 months then that would mark it around Nov 2014 for the next Surface Pro. Will Broadwell release by then?

leeshor

Intel is struggling to get them ready for desktops by Christmas so my guess is no. But I could be wrong. ;)

MCube74

Intel is struggling to get them ready for desktops by Christmas so my guess is no. But I could be wrong. ;)

I can wait. I don't want a big screen. I want a better CPU and GPU for an upgrade.

I got my surface pro 2. From Microsoft's authorized Business channel reseller and they have extended warranty and accidental damage coverage and above all recycling policy. So upgrades are possible.

Will keep watch for the next best thing from Surface.

quadtronix

If Microsoft releases a new Surface every 6 months then that would mark it around Nov 2014 for the next Surface Pro. Will Broadwell release by then?

I just read an article recently about Broadwell... They said that Intel was saying it will be ready for Holiday season and not last minute either but that back to school season (August-September) is going to be tough to achieve. I'll try to find that article but it might have been from a while ago, I don't remember. Anyway, I don't think Nov. is out of the question but we'll see...