What's new

Surface Pro 3 Type Cover Disables When Tilted

Conley

When I am using my SP3 in bed and I turn onto my side and have the Surface tilted, more than around 30 degrees, the entire Type Cover disables including the backlighting and touchpad. Sometimes it takes more tilt to get it to disable than other times. I think that this might have to do with the fact that the keyboard disables when you flip it behind the Surface 360 degrees. My autorotation is disabled. When you tilt your setup sideways, does the Type Cover disable? Thank you.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard that the Surface Type Cover has a motion sensor, in order to wake up when typing starts. The Type Cover 2 had a proximity sensor on the front edge of the palm rests for this effect.

OP
C

Conley

I have heard that the Surface Type Cover has a motion sensor, in order to wake up when typing starts. The Type Cover 2 had a proximity sensor on the front edge of the palm rests for this effect.
Is there a way to disable this? This is a serious problem.

malberttoo

When I am using my SP3 in bed and I turn onto my side and have the Surface tilted, more than around 30 degrees, the entire Type Cover disables including the backlighting and touchpad. Sometimes it takes more tilt to get it to disable than other times. I think that this might have to do with the fact that the keyboard disables when you flip it behind the Surface 360 degrees. My autorotation is disabled. When you tilt your setup sideways, does the Type Cover disable? Thank you.

Mine also disabled as I tilted the SP3 to the extreme one way or the other. I've never had cause to notice it before now, but everyone's usage scenario is different.

its not so much a motion sensor as a "bend sensor" at the bendy bits. I think its a little too severe, it needs about another 30 degrees of bendiness or so before it should disable.