What's new

Solved Surface Pro 3 taking forever to boot during restart

Lobo

Hi guys,

I got a new SP3 recently and was quite amazed in the beginning.
Unfortunately, soon I started to enjoy the typical Windows problems which drove me away from the platform a long while ago.

All of a sudden, my device decided to take forever for a simple restart. What used to take mere seconds led me to using the Vol-up-Power-Btn-Combo after a while, because I thought it froze on me.

Then I noticed, that it will actually start, but it takes about 4-5 minutes to arrive at the login screen.

I did a restore once, which only led to a short period of relief.

All Updates installed, no anti-virus other than MSE, no tune-up tools installed.
Automatic Repair didn't help, neither Dism nor sfc showed any errors.

I installed the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit and ran the Performance Recorder, but the Analyzer didn't give me a clue either.

Finally, the Event Viewer leaves me with a simple info: Windows is not functioning anymore. Of course, there isn't any useful follow-up hint and in the end, Windows boots just fine.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

malberttoo

Hi guys,

I got a new SP3 recently and was quite amazed in the beginning.
Unfortunately, soon I started to enjoy the typical Windows problems which drove me away from the platform a long while ago.

All of a sudden, my device decided to take forever for a simple restart. What used to take mere seconds led me to using the Vol-up-Power-Btn-Combo after a while, because I thought it froze on me.

Then I noticed, that it will actually start, but it takes about 4-5 minutes to arrive at the login screen.

I did a restore once, which only led to a short period of relief.

All Updates installed, no anti-virus other than MSE, no tune-up tools installed.
Automatic Repair didn't help, neither Dism nor sfc showed any errors.

I installed the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit and ran the Performance Recorder, but the Analyzer didn't give me a clue either.

Finally, the Event Viewer leaves me with a simple info: Windows is not functioning anymore. Of course, there isn't any useful follow-up hint and in the end, Windows boots just fine.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hi Lobo.

If you've already done a restore procedure and returned it to factory state, and you're still having the issue, it is probably a hardware problem. In your case maybe the SSD isn't quite right.

I'd exchange it.

OP
L

Lobo

Ouch, that doesn't bode well.

Maybe there's somebody around who could run my WPR logs through the analyzer and see if they can make any sense of it as a last resort?

bluegrass

You might download & run the free version of Malwarebytes. I have fixed a lot of slow systems running Malwarebytes. It can find a lot of crud that slips past a lot of antivirus software. Other than that & a factory refresh, I would take it back to the store & get it exchanged.

OP
L

Lobo

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! In the end, I had to do a factory refresh, doing reboots after all major installations. So far, so good. I hope it'll stay that way. :)

malberttoo

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys! In the end, I had to do a factory refresh, doing reboots after all major installations. So far, so good. I hope it'll stay that way. :)

I thought this is what you said you did in your original post. You must have meant refresh?

OP
L

Lobo

Sorry Michael, y'all caught me on ma sloooow day. ;)

Of course, I didn't do a simple refresh (yes, did it before but it wouldn't help), I rather put the whole thing out of its misery and did a complete wipe including reset to factory state.

Still holding up btw – keep on pushing them thumbs, would ya? :D

kundas1

Great, glad it worked out for ya and your SP3 and running trouble free... always sucks when our expensive toy don't work right... ;)