What's new

Surface pro 3 screen scratched or cracked not to sure

OP
S

Shuaib

No one definitely entered the room as all my housemates were still asleep and yeah I think the second is the only plausible explanation but how could it be strong enough to scratch the screen.

In terms of the crack getting larger over time this is what I told the surface support guy and I said if it gets worse then I will definitely send it in for a hopeful exchange.

Would a crack affect the performance of the screen as I haven't noticed any change in its performance and responsiveness

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No one definitely entered the room as all my housemates were still asleep and yeah I think the second is the only plausible explanation but how could it be strong enough to scratch the screen.

In terms of the crack getting larger over time this is what I told the surface support guy and I said if it gets worse then I will definitely send it in for a hopeful exchange.

Would a crack affect the performance of the screen as I haven't noticed any change in its performance and responsiveness
Depends on the depth or if its just the protective glass. It might be possible that it could affect the pen in that area if it damages the embedded digitizer elements. If you hold the device at the right angle under light with the screen off you can see them.

OP
S

Shuaib

Well the pen is working like it normally does in that area except I can feel it when I write over it so does that mean its the protective glass that has scratched/cracked

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no way of knowing what's going on in there... :)
I have heard of people buying the MS Complete coverage after ... you might look into it... one person I know even bought after it was damaged and they were ok with it. However, if its a crack and covered under the std warranty then that doesn't help... but might in the future.

OP
S

Shuaib

I did try to buy the complete coverage after the period they state but they said it's not possible but thanks a lot for your help

OP
S

Shuaib

What determines the deepness as in it is not too noticeable really except if put my finger/surface pen over it or I actively look for it

Last edited:

tuchas

Well, I have an even more unusual situation. I received a new i5 256 SP3 last month, and I discovered something like a scribble on the glass. Only thing is that this scribble is not on the surface of the glass - it's on the underside of the glass. Very piss poor quality control. So now I have to truck 45 miles to my nearest MS store tonight to swap this out, and I don't even know if they have any new ones in stock (MS is telling me they are so busy that they can't tell me what store inventory is). So that's my story. Very weird.

OP
S

Shuaib

Damn man that's unlucky sorry to hear but on the bright side at least yours is getting replaced.

ptrkhh

Are you use it was not there before? Sometimes, you know, scratch could disappear under lower lightning. When I put my tablets and phones under the bright sunny day or just a very bright light, I can see plenty of scratches there, but they disappear very quickly when I reduce the lightning.
My recommendation would be, as long as youre not bothered when using the pen, just forget it

OP
S

Shuaib

Yeah I'm pretty sure it wasn't there and yeah that's what I'm thinking and hopefully it doesn't get any worse