What's new

Surface pro 3 not turning on

esardinha08

Hello Everyone,

I have been using my surface pro 3 for around two months now and now it will not turn on at all. I tried all of the troubleshooting methods posted on MS's site, no go. I know there are no user replaceable parts in the surface but I need to get my data back. Is there anyway that I can get the info off of the hard drive? I know it will void the warranty but at this point it doesn't matter. Is it possible for the hard drive to be connected to an external sata adapter to usb?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hold the power button down for 30 seconds, wait 10 and the hold the volume rocker up and preys the power button until the Surface Logo comes up... it will boot you into UEFI make no changes and exit....

OP
E

esardinha08

Yes I have tried that, it will not turn on. Is there a way to retrieve the data? I already know Microsoft will not do it, they just replace it. I need to know if I can get my data back.

kundas1

don't you have it backed up to the onedrive? everything should be there if you did... if not then you would have to take it apart which will void the warranty and connect the HD some how to get the info off of it...

OP
E

esardinha08

I don't have it backed up or I wouldn't be asking this right now and what I need to know is, it is possible to connect the hard drive as my initial post stated. It has a micron SSD in it, can that be connected to an external sata to usb connector?

kundas1

reread my post, I said that you would have to open the SP3 to take out the SSD and somehow connect it, but if your data is so important to you then you should have backed it up to one drive instead of opening a SP3 and voiding the warranty, don't ya think?

OP
E

esardinha08

reread my post, I said that you would have to open the SP3 to take out the SSD and somehow connect it, but if your data is so important to you then you should have backed it up to one drive instead of opening a SP3 and voiding the warranty, don't ya think?
Yes you are technically correct but I wouldn't have posted on this forum if that were an option, its a little late for that and now I needed to know if it was possible to get the data off of the Surface. I wanted to make sure the SSD wasn't soldered to the board.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply been a few days now, tried that already. Could the display just have gone out, video issue?
If you have access to an external monitor you can see if it the machine is running, if the SP3 has failed and you're willing to void the warranty, iFixit has a tear down and the SSD is an MSATA so you should be able to get the data, keep and mind by default the drive is encrypted so you'll need the recovery keys from your Microsoft Account.

drolem

There can be several reasons why your SP3 is not turning on. Some can be remedied relatively easily, others do not without access to tools available only to the developers.

If your data worth more than your tablet, you can either cut through the back and remove the mSATA SSD, or remove the display and work your way from there to the SSD. I think you need either a T3 or a T4 torx to remove the SSD.

In *theory*, if you're careful, you can remove the SSD without any damage to the other components. In practice, that's usually not the case

Note, make sure you use an mSATA adapter that has the low voltage lines properly hooked up.

This one will work with many, but not all mSATA drives you can find in surfaces: http://sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1210
Or you can use a USB 3.0 enclosure: http://poweredbymushkin.com/catalog...re/872-atlas-flux-usb-3-0-msata-iii-enclosure