What's new

Surface Pro 3 Laptop Mod

JoshB

So my wife has been complaining about the lapability of her Surface Pro 3 for a while. The stand really feels like it is cutting into her legs(She has Fibromyalgia). For this Mothers day I took some scrap wood and made a version 1 of a "Laptop Mod" for the Surface Pro 3.

The surface just slides in to grooves when you want to use it and can be easily removed when you are done.

I used Torsion hinges which have resistance and stay where you open them too. up to 180 degrees. You are able to carry it around safely when open and it stays in place, too! I have test carried it around like a laptop, by the "keyboard" area.

I still need to Mod it a bit, and most likely make a version 2.

Big things missing:
1.) No access to side ports. This is not an issue right now because she does not use anything other than the power.
2.) Some vents are covered.
3.) Adds a lot of weight.
4.) If opened more than 89 degrees from the close position, it starts to teeter totter due to being top heavy.

Here is a drop box link with pictures I took:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9h1iws5e4uta7me/AAC8IEFpiFtyx5-tOh3xPPbCa?dl=0

Here is a quick video I posted to Youtube:

Last edited:
OP
J

JoshB

Thank you. I also like the lapdesks, but the wife was looking for something a little more 'laptop'. It will work for now. Going to work on v2 with the Modifications I listed above. work on slimming it up too.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Surely you could use a couple of torque hinges, some strips of metal (rubber on inside to protect surface, could put wood decal over top or paint) and then a heavy base board for the keyboard to rest on and to provide the stability Would stop the toppling seen in your vid. Would also be instantly removable, almost like a dock. I love the concept, I mean while it has issues, you just made the SP3 even more versatile. Now it's a strange laptop, a real albeit bulky laptop, and a tablet. Just don't quite see the need for the section of wood for the actual surface. Could get a decal if wanting to keep that all-wood look.

OP
J

JoshB

Yeah, the reason for the full wood top (instead of just having a little area the surface sits in) is due to the poundage of the torque hinges I have. Otherwise it would be putting a lot of pressure on the surface itself when closing and opening. The way I made it the pressure is placed all on the wood.

Laptops are so cheap these days....why not just buy one?
Not trying to be critical or negative but it seems this pretty much kills the intended usage of a SP3.

OP
J

JoshB

Not everyone can just afford to buy another device. Also this is not killing the intended usage of the SP3. It is just making it more comfortable when used in a couple situations. It is not being carried around in this every hour of every day. It is only being used in bed or on the couch for about an hour or two every other night. The surface slides right out of it when it is not needed. Anyone would be hard pressed to find a comparable laptop to the SP3 for $25. The SP3 is way preferable to the Macbook Air, except in a couple situations, and this just resolved it.

I do agree that if this was meant to be an everyday carry type of thing, then definitely no. Too bulky and you would be better off with just a laptop, or with another tablet PC that has a keyboard dock already.