What's new

Surface Pro 3 Battery Fix has been released in today's Firmware Update

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The instructions mention "Do not use the Surface Docking Station."
Sounds sinister... I'm sure some docking station users will apply the update without reading this... soo should we expect mushroom clouds over the locations of users that do use their docking stations?

Also "and check that Windows shows a 40% charge or greater when you hover over the icon in the taskbar."
What if it doesn't and or won't go that high. again, users will just apply the update without reading. I suppose the update could check for itself but then the reading is false anyway.

Just things I wonder about.

rlewis

Well, something's certainly different. Before, my battery would drop like a rock from 99% to under 30% in less than an hour. After the update, I've been on battery for 3.5 hours, all screen on and all awake, and the battery is showing 73% remaining. So far on the battery report, I went from about 11,000 mWh capacity to 34,200 mWh capacity.

mclark2112

Nope, still bad. Battery report reads 5,069 mWh capacity. About 30 minutes on battery, I think it is the same as it was before the update.

The instructions mention "Do not use the Surface Docking Station."
Sounds sinister... I'm sure some docking station users will apply the update without reading this... soo should we expect mushroom clouds over the locations of users that do use their docking stations?

Also "and check that Windows shows a 40% charge or greater when you hover over the icon in the taskbar."
What if it doesn't and or won't go that high. again, users will just apply the update without reading. I suppose the update could check for itself but then the reading is false anyway.

Just things I wonder about.

considering that the default setting for updates is automatically update. It updated automatically on my machine with no user interaction and it was in the docking station.

From the FAQ -- "Ensure that you're directly connected to AC power. Don't use the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station. Also make sure that you don't have any USB peripherals or external monitors plugged into the device."

RIGHT! I had all those connected when it automatically applied the update.

Nope, still bad. Battery report reads 5,069 mWh capacity. About 30 minutes on battery, I think it is the same as it was before the update.

from the FAQ on the link.."Over the next five charge and discharge cycles, the gauge will stabilize as it relearns the actual battery capacity in your Surface Pro 3."

garryknight

It updated automatically on my machine with no user interaction and it was in the docking station.

Mine was also in the docking station when the update was downloaded, but I noticed it and restarted with the power cable. Fingers crossed that it all goes OK.

from the FAQ on the link.."Over the next five charge and discharge cycles, the gauge will stabilize as it relearns the actual battery capacity in your Surface Pro 3."

I hope so. My battery is an LG so I shouldn't even need the firmware update. After it was installed, clicking the battery icon showed 15 hours remaining! I worked on it for about two hours today and it showed 15% left. I usually get a good 4 to 5 hours.

Haldi

From the FAQ -- "Ensure that you're directly connected to AC power. Don't use the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station. Also make sure that you don't have any USB peripherals or external monitors plugged into the device."

Woah... and i only made the update by chance. Lucky i had 80% battery left and nothing connected.

After the update, my Surface 3 just died. It will not boot. Nothing but a black screen. Can't even boot into firmware mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to boot?

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
After the update, my Surface 3 just died. It will not boot. Nothing but a black screen. Can't even boot into firmware mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to boot?
Surface 3? The update was for the Surface Pro 3....