What's new

Surface Pro 3 advice

nikkoewan

New to the forums.

Background first: I'm a basketball writer that watches and edits a lot of basketball videos for articles. I'm also doing a lot of self-study right now on data analysis and coding and I have plans on getting a master's degree in the near future. I live in a SE Asian country that doesn't sell the SP3 officially.

I currently have three devices to accomplish everything I need: laptop (for editing videos, heavy writing and coding), tablet (for watching game tape when I cover games in the arena and of course as an easy media consumption device) and of course a phone.

So far, from what I read/seen (forums, reviews of all sorts of biases, videos), the Surface Pro 3 is everything I need: I can write articles on them when I'm home. I can watch game tapes on them and then easily use either VLC or OneNote to get screencaps/video snippets (for additional annotation) and once I start studying, the kickstand+notes function will be incredibly useful. It's the device I've always wanted -- a tablet that can function as a laptop (or a laptop that can function as a tablet).

I'm planning on buying a core i5, 256, 8G RAM SP3 (through a friend that's going to visit the PH in December) via the Microsoft Store.

My problems is that I live in a SE Asian country (Philippines) where MS does not sell Surface Pros (whether it's the 1,2 or 3). This is important because scouring through different SP and MS forums, I've found that the warranty will only be honored if MS officially sells the device in the country you had it serviced (even if you bought it from another country).

Additionally, the Broadwell processors are "supposedly" coming. So my questions are:

1. How durable is the SP3 as a whole? If I'm going to use the SP3, it will probably be with the warranty being almost useless (since I'd have to ship it to another country if I need it to be repaired). Read about some issues with the screen cracking near the camera and kickstands breaking when they fell opened (even if the fall was just short, ~2 ft).

2. How big will the throttling be for me (watch videos, edit videos, code, notes, running script on excel, word)?

3. Should I just wait for the other Broadwell hybrids (SP4)?

I'm looking into other hybrids and I can't find one that matches what the SP3 provides -- a real and improved tablet experience thanks to the kick stand and a compact and usable laptop on the go. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! (Also, if I posted in the wrong forum, I'm sorry!)

joga

New to the forums.

Background first: I'm a basketball writer that watches and edits a lot of basketball videos for articles. I'm also doing a lot of self-study right now on data analysis and coding and I have plans on getting a master's degree in the near future. I live in a SE Asian country that doesn't sell the SP3 officially.

I currently have three devices to accomplish everything I need: laptop (for editing videos, heavy writing and coding), tablet (for watching game tape when I cover games in the arena and of course as an easy media consumption device) and of course a phone.

So far, from what I read/seen (forums, reviews of all sorts of biases, videos), the Surface Pro 3 is everything I need: I can write articles on them when I'm home. I can watch game tapes on them and then easily use either VLC or OneNote to get screencaps/video snippets (for additional annotation) and once I start studying, the kickstand+notes function will be incredibly useful. It's the device I've always wanted -- a tablet that can function as a laptop (or a laptop that can function as a tablet).

I'm planning on buying a core i5, 256, 8G RAM SP3 (through a friend that's going to visit the PH in December) via the Microsoft Store.

My problems is that I live in a SE Asian country (Philippines) where MS does not sell Surface Pros (whether it's the 1,2 or 3). This is important because scouring through different SP and MS forums, I've found that the warranty will only be honored if MS officially sells the device in the country you had it serviced (even if you bought it from another country).

Additionally, the Broadwell processors are "supposedly" coming. So my questions are:

1. How durable is the SP3 as a whole? If I'm going to use the SP3, it will probably be with the warranty being almost useless (since I'd have to ship it to another country if I need it to be repaired). Read about some issues with the screen cracking near the camera and kickstands breaking when they fell opened (even if the fall was just short, ~2 ft).

2. How big will the throttling be for me (watch videos, edit videos, code, notes, running script on excel, word)?

I'm looking into other hybrids and I can't find one that matches what the SP3 provides -- a real and improved tablet experience thanks to the kick stand and a compact and usable laptop on the go. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! (Also, if I posted in the wrong forum, I'm sorry!)

What will Change (warranty) for you with the SP4 if it's not released in your country too?

I don't own a SP3 yet. My SP3 should arrive on the 28.07.14. I preordered the i7 256G version.

From what i have read in different topics is that the SP3 will throttle heavy when running GPU heavy tasks like games.

I think video editing will be handled by the CPU. The i5 / i7 version will throttle on CPU heavy tasks, but not so heavy then running GPU tasks. There a lot of nice youtube videos showing it.
The throttled i7 version will be faster then the throttled i5 version.

I guess the SP4 with Broadwell will arrive at the same time as Windows 9. Again, i guess it will be on the second quarter 2015.

OP
N

nikkoewan

What will Change (warranty) for you with the SP4 if it's not released in your country too?

I don't own a SP3 yet. My SP3 should arrive on the 28.07.14. I preordered the i7 256G version.

From what i have read in different topics is that the SP3 will throttle heavy when running GPU heavy tasks like games.

I think video editing will be handled by the CPU. The i5 / i7 version will throttle on CPU heavy tasks, but not so heavy then running GPU tasks. There a lot of nice youtube videos showing it.
The throttled i7 version will be faster then the throttled i5 version.

I guess the SP4 with Broadwell will arrive at the same time as Windows 9. Again, i guess it will be on the second quarter 2015.

Well, nothing -- except I'm hoping by the time SP4 comes out, MS will finally (FINALLY) officially sell their Surfaces here. I've somehow come to terms that if I do go with an SP3, it won't have a warranty on it.

thisiscarlo

Unfortunately, you're pretty much SOL. I'm based in the Philippines too (although I occasionally fly to Canada about once a year) and had to get my iPhone 5 replaced in Canada last year because none of the Apple retailers could honor the warranty. Just do your best to take care of it if you do decide to purchase it.

As for durability... I haven't put it through any extensive tests (nor do I plan to anytime in the future lol) but it has survived 3 long duration flights in a pretty loaded backpack with no issues whatsoever.

malberttoo

Hi, welcome to the forum!

1. How durable is the SP3 as a whole?

Like anything, Your Mileage May Vary. But I personally consider the SP3 to be pretty durable, for what it is. I do my best to keep mine from banging around, etc. There definitely have been reports of unexpected damage or failures, but so far I believe they are pretty typical percentage-wise, for any electronic device that's made to be carried around in the world.

I don't see you having an issue at all if all you're doing is trimming and editing existing video.

My personal opinion, if you want it now, just get it! You could go on forever waiting for "the next" thing. Although, I do see how your situation is complicated by your geographic location.

Hope it helps! :cool:

grumpy

The SP3 is still relatively new so long term durability is still unknown. The SP3 does use thinner glass for the screen than its predecessors and there have been several reports of the screen cracking from the microphone hole.

Video encoding will likely result in throttling and take longer than other similarly spec'd devices.

There is hope that Broadwell will be a magic bullet for the throttling issues, but who knows...

Really, the only advantage the SP3 provides over the SP2 is a larger screen. The SP2 has better sustained performance, has thicker glass, costs less, and is a mature product with most of the bugs worked out. Since you will be flying without a net (no warranty), the lower cost and maturity of the device lowers your risk.

ctitanic

I heard that they are working on the SP5 already that will be a better one. And that they have plans already for the SP6. My point is that always there is going to be a newest and better version coming soon.

ctitanic

There is hope that Broadwell will be a magic bullet for the throttling issues, but who knows...

And it may be like the Atom processor that achieved the promises after more than 6 years of being in the market.

wynand32

I don't have much to add except to confirm that durability seems fine to me, although I admit to being more careful with my SP3 than I am with, say, my Nexus 10. $1300 investment vs. $500 investment accounts for my extra caution, not anything specific about the SP3. And that's even though I bought Complete; it would still be a bummer to drop this thing and break it.

I'm not sure what the story is about dropping with the kickstand extended. I would fully expect it to break--I can't imagine how Microsoft could have engineered it to withstand a drop from any height and still have it fit within the dimensions of the SP3. Make it any more complex/stronger, and it would be unnecessarily expensive and cumbersome, I think. As it is, it seems plenty durable for its intended use.

I haven't tried video editing on my SP3, but unless your selected app can utilize the Intel integrated GPU for encoding (which I don't think is possible, unlike the discrete options), then I imagine throttling shouldn't be an issue. That's just a guess though. Personally, I use my Core i7-4770K overclocked for video editing, on purpose--I don't expect any notebook to perform the way I want it to without spending way more than I'd like.

I agree with @ctitanic completely when it comes to waiting for the next great thing. Sure, Broadwell will likely bring some nice power and thermal improvements, but it will likely perform roughly the same. Since I find my SP3 to last long enough and perform well enough (throttling hasn't been an issue for my use cases), and it's making me more productive in the meantime, I can't imagine waiting--particularly when we don't know what's actually coming, nor when. If an SP4 had been announced using Broadwell and with a firm shipping date of next month, that would be different.

OP
N

nikkoewan

Thanks for the answers guys. It's helping a lot with the decision making, especially the comments on durability and throttling.

And regarding the Broadwell comment -- I do understand that tech tends to evolve at a fast rate and that waiting for the "next big thing" is not a great idea. I do find the supposed thermal improvement on Broadwell chips appealing.

I'm hoping that once I decide to buy in the holiday season, all the bugs and kinks in the SP3 are worked out. I'm hoping it'll also get a "sale" of sort (to ease the burden of the no warranty thing). But I'm really REALLY really liking the SP3 from a hardware perspective.

OP
N

nikkoewan

Thanks for the answers guys. It's helping a lot with the decision making, especially the comments on durability and throttling.

And regarding the Broadwell comment -- I do understand that tech tends to evolve at a fast rate and that waiting for the "next big thing" is not a great idea. I do find the supposed thermal improvement on Broadwell chips appealing.

I'm hoping that once I decide to buy in the holiday season, all the bugs and kinks in the SP3 are worked out. I'm hoping it'll also get a "sale" of sort (to ease the burden of the no warranty thing). But I'm really REALLY really liking the SP3 from a hardware perspective.