What's new

Surface Pro (2017) running slowly after reformat

grgryl

I have a Surface Pro gen 5 purchased in 2017 that is running slowly. I reset it, which seems to do that same as reformatting, and it doesn't seem to make much difference. Anyone have suggestions on how I can get this to run faster? I've attached the screenshots of the specs and a benchmark test done right after reset/reformat. Also, does anyone know if it's possible to replace the battery in the computer? Does the Windows Store offer this service?

Screenshot (1).png
Screenshot (2).png

Screenshot (3).png

Plantje

I don't think the battery replacement is something that is offered through the store. And even if it is, I wonder if it is feasible.
I also own a SP 5 2017. Advanced LTE in my case. I can run these benchmarks too if you'd like. Is it just a matter of going to that website or is it a paid service?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Make sure the Firmware and All Drivers are up to date. Use the Surface Firmware & Drivers download from Microsoft.

Plantje

Thanks for pointing me to this userbenchmark site by the way! I will run the benchmarks on my SP 2017 Advanced LTE and share some of the results here as well.

Plantje

The USB drive is my micro SD card, but I don't mind.
At the time of the test I had closed most applications, was not logged in with the other user that I have on this computer and only had this tab and the userbenchmarks.com tab in Edge open. Hope it helps.

wpcoe

I ran UserBenchmark on my SP6 i7-16GB-512GB (since it feels like it has slowed down over the years) and I wonder about the consistency of the test results.

I first ran the test without regard for my external monitor being attached, but when I saw the monitor name pop up during the testing, I wondered how it would compare to testing without the monitor attached.

So I ran a second test without the monitor, and the test results were notably different, even though I ran the second test only a short while after the first one, with no real activity on the computer between them. Seeing the difference, I ran the test a 3rd time (without monitor) and there was still more variance than I would expect for consecutive tests:

1621831764141.png

Am I being overly critical about the test results?

Off to run Malwarebytes next!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for sharing! But Malwarebytes is not a benchmark tool, is it?
No, it's not a benchmark tool, it's an antimalware tool. If you had malware on your system it could adversely affect performance though. For example, if it was doing bitcoin mining ...