What's new

Surface Pro 2 i5 max temperature?

Genie

Hi, I been using Surface Pro 2 as main machine lately and I've noticed when I play flash video from sites like twitch, temperature goes up to 77'c (according to hwmonitor). Is this normal range of temperature?

Malakai

Yeah, temp average can range from 30c - 70c. Mines been between 49 - 74c all day today and peaked at 78c when i was rendering out a video using adobe media encoder. It will max out at 80c, the cpu has thermal cutout to prevent overheating. Basically under full load it will reduce processing speed when it hits 80c till it 77c and bounces around between these temperatures. It wont harm your surface. It will have an impact on your battery though. Lithium cells don't like heat. That's why if you use your surface with the screen brightness turned up or use lots of processor intensive programs it gets hotter than normal and spanks away your battery. The main thing is to not have it in a case when it hits the high temps. I have my power plan to run at 65% power on battery (stops it running the "turbo" on the cpu and helps keep it cool, as well as only having the display at 45%. This way I can keep it in its case for carrying around. When its on the mains its all 100% but out of the case.

Hope this helps :D

OP
G

Genie

That was very detailed and helpful! I wasn't thinking of battery life but I'll have to take that into consideration and maybe use my desktop again :/ Making profile sounds like good idea too.

Malakai

Actually, a little tip here. In my case I have a i7 powerhouse of a desktop machine. My primary use for my surface is video/photo editing and office stuff. My computer is way more suited for rendering out large pieces of work as its built for the task. So using a NAS drive I designed my own personal cloud running from my webserver that allows me to link into the drive from any internet connection. Bridging my surface and desktop with a shared drive. From here I can remote access my desktop on my surface and hammer out my work as if I'm at my desk and if push comes to shove and im on a slow network I can work on my surface to get everything ready then remote into the desktop and load the same workflow there and render it out. The best part is my battery life is great, get six to seven full hours of use before I need to charge as the overhead and processing power is all on my desktop machine.

OP
G

Genie

I was thinking of similar thing. Instead of playing flash videos on Surface if I play it on my other desktop and RDP in with Raspberry pi (and use synergy to control) it might take some heat off surface. Only issue with RDP is it can't do 3d gaming so I'll have to keep desktop (noisy :/) around for times I wanna relax.

Do you use standard windows RDP client?

Malakai

Yeah, standard RDP but changed the ports. I've found it to be the most reliable as I have a few machines on my internal network that I RDP into when needed.
Yeah, not being able to game remotely is a pain. It would be nice but I have a handful of games on my SP2 that I play when I'm out and about and keep the hard core stuff on the desktop when I'm home.
:D