What's new

Surface Pro 2 i5-4200u with HD4400 VS Sony Vaio tap11 i7-4610Y with HD4200 Gaming???

cedric5555

I have problem choosing between these two tablets.

Does anyone know which one has better performance with gaming?
Assuming both SP2 and Vaio tap with 4gb ram.
Surface Pro 2 i5-4200u with HD4400 and Sony Vaio tap11 i7-4610Y with HD4200
SP2 has better GPU but Vaio tap11 has better CPU

Thanks for the advise.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have problem choosing between these two tablets.

Does anyone know which one has better performance with gaming?
Assuming both SP2 and Vaio tap with 4gb ram.
Surface Pro 2 i5-4200u with HD4400 and Sony Vaio tap11 i7-4610Y with HD4200
SP2 has better GPU but Vaio tap11 has better CPU

Thanks for the advise.

Sony's CPU:
ARK | Intel® Core? i7-4610Y Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)

Surface Pro 2's CPU:
ARK | Intel® Core? i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)

So it depends on if the games require a strong GPU or CPU, floating point heavy and/or 2d games typically rely on CPU, heavily textured, 3d games rely on GPU more.

Think Casual Games (Angry Birds) vs. COD

At the launch on Monday, we had a demo of the Pro 2 play Portal 2 with a wireless Xbox Controller on battery (lasted around 5 hours).

demandarin

I think the pro 2 would be best for gaming. As the pro 1 surprised me as to good it could play the latest high graphic games. Of course with some of them needing graphics settings adjustment., pro 1 was a surprisingly capable steam gaming device. The pro 2 has 50% gpu increase. Its likely even better for gaming.

Of course these aren't gaming machines but very capable, as many might not know

D

Deleted member 10837

Razer Edge Pro would be better for gaming then both with i7-3517U and dedicated GT 640M LE GPU.

EMINENT

Tap has a bigger screen, but it'll be wobbly in the lap unless you want it teetering left to right with that center hinge.

Also, that keyboard design is pretty cool, but what do you do with it if you're using it while walking? Shove it in a bag? Under your arm?
I don't think it attaches to the back. This is why Surface is better. Covers fold over and it stays with you.

illuzn

Sony's CPU:
ARK | Intel® Core? i7-4610Y Processor (4M Cache, up to 2.90 GHz)

Surface Pro 2's CPU:
ARK | Intel® Core? i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.60 GHz)

So it depends on if the games require a strong GPU or CPU, floating point heavy and/or 2d games typically rely on CPU, heavily textured, 3d games rely on GPU more.

Think Casual Games (Angry Birds) vs. COD

At the launch on Monday, we had a demo of the Pro 2 play Portal 2 with a wireless Xbox Controller on battery (lasted around 5 hours).

Although on paper the Sony may turbo boost to a higher CPU clock, I don't think this will translate to gaming performance.

If we're talking software heavy, CPU games, if the can't run on the i5-4200U I doubt they would run on lower performance phone hardware.

In terms of games which actually use the GPU, I think the surface pro will outclass the Sony in terms of speed purely because of its higher max TDP. This will mean that when the GPU is running at maximum clock (which it will be in any 3D game) the CPU in the surface pro will be able to turbo boost to higher performance.

Honestly, I think they are aimed at different sectors. The Surface Pro 2 is meant to be the professionals do-everything machine.

The Tap11 is meant to be a productivity device and not a gaming platform - that's why its smaller battery and lower TDP makes sense.

TheJokker

I could be wrong but without benchmarks I would give the edge to the Surface Pro 2 because of upgraded graphics processor.

shazada

And for the €1300 it's Sony it's i7 + HD4200 + 4GB Ram VS Surface Pro 2 i5 + HD4400 + 8GB Ram

In this and overal cases I'd rather have a couple of more ram & better GPU than a better CPU. But this is just on the specs. I'll be lying if the white Sony with it's glossy and thinner finish doesn't look slick :).

oion

What games are touch-friendly right now?

Looking at the OP's posting history, here's a question: Why is he so concerned about gaming performance in a device type that's not designed for strict PC gaming?

In other words, why can't the OP buy a gaming laptop?