What's new

Surface pro 2 died

train_depot

Maybe that would have brought my son's back to life. It died after 2 days and nothing in the online help worked. None of the people in the MS Store could figure it out so they gave us a new one.

CrippsCorner

Its in the change PC settings. Then press skydiver. Then sync settings. In there I think by default, it has every set to on. Meaning apps, background, data, tiles and everything is backed up. So, in theory, once you get new device and sign into skydiver. You can set it to reload everything that's backed up. Not sure about desktop apps though.

Is this Skydiver a real thing or do you mean SkyDrive?

olimjj

Got my surface pro 2 128Gb, 3 days ago. Woke up this morning some update was automatically downloaded overnight had to restart the computer, was working this Am for an hour, put it to sleep and it won't restart. Even holding the start button down for 10 seconds won't start it up. Its not a battey issue because i've plug it in for a couple of hours and it still won't start. when its connected to the type cover 2, the backlight does come on. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions how to fix this short of returning it?

This is why I never have it download and install automatically. I want to control the install to suit the situation and status.

drolem

You could've had a firmware update that gone berserk, or run into a chipset bug. Do you see the charger light when it's plugged in? Do you have a touch or type cover?

Try both VoL+ & PWR and Vol- & PWR. Depress the Vol and hold it, then depress PWR and hold it for a little over 10 secs. Release PWR than release Vol then wait about 10 - 15 seconds. If neither combination do anything, your unit is probably truly bricked, and just return it for exchange.

DSimmons

I thought mine died today (Surface Pro 2 128 GB). For 2 hours I was sweating it out thinking of how I was going to return it.

Holding down Volume UP and Power at the same time for more than 10 seconds brought it back to life.....

MrHaugen

I thought mine died today (Surface Pro 2 128 GB). For 2 hours I was sweating it out thinking of how I was going to return it.

Holding down Volume UP and Power at the same time for more than 10 seconds brought it back to life.....

I have the same model, and the same thing happened. Surface fell to sleep, and would not wake up. However, the Windows button was still reacting. Managed to shut it down with the Power button, as the Windows key did not respond any more. But I could just not get it to start. Holding the volume up and holding the Power button did the trick. Thanks a lot for the idea! I'm just sooooo glad I did not have to return it. Snail mail is a drag.

Rvacha

Try volume up and power buttons simultaneously for 20 seconds. The screen will flash once or twice but keeping holding. Do you have any blinking LEDs behind the microSD slot?

Sir Face

Have you tried holding down the "volume up" rocker (first) band then press and hold the power button. That usually fixes darned near everything. It's gotten me out of a hole a few times.