What's new

Surface Pro 2 1.9 CPU Lot Numbers

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Yay ..... Just got my SP2 128GB lot number 1350 from Hongkong , thankfully it has 4300U 1.9 GHz processor , enjoying this beast of a machine, can wait to transfer all my files from laptop to this and retire my laptop. what issues should one check for ? any idea guys ?

None that I can really think of. Seriously though if you listen to everybody here, including myself you could probably get a list of 10-12 things that just aren't perfect and may vary from device to device. So my advice is evaluate yours based on your experience. Run it in the ground and if you have some issues then post them here and seek help on your issues not something that you imagine you have because someone else mentioned it and then you went looking for it. Just my opinion mind you.

jrapdx

Filled in the online service request on Wednesday afternoon as my screen started clicking/creaking and the device is still dodgy after the firmware update. Received shipment notification on Thursday and the replacement turned up this morning (Friday), in seemingly perfect condition, and upgraded processor to boot (8/256G). Even the kickstand is flush, where my original was slightly raised. Not sure of the lot number, came in a plain brown box.

Overall very very impressed with the service, thanks Microsoft!

So it appears, sometimes MS hits the nail right on the head, sometimes they just smash their thumb(s).

benjitek

Noticed yesterday that Best Buy online had the 512gb SP2's available for order again -- am trying my luck with them, as the MS Online Store is out now and I've returned the first 2 they shipped with the 4200 CPU. Fingers crossed ;-)

PhotoDiver

Argh. Returned my 512gb SP2 Lot #1348 with the 4200U CPU (purchased at MS online store on 13-Jan-2014). Got a replacement at the local Microsoft store that looked promising (also 512gb; Lot #1404), but it also turned out to be the older processor.

I'm surprised to see a 14xx lot number with the older processor. Time for another return. Posting here as a heads up.

Do we have any 14xx lot number info for the 512gb SP2 that so far appear to include the 4300U?

benjitek

...Got a replacement at the local Microsoft store that looked promising (also 512gb; Lot #1404), but it also turned out to be the older processor...
That's bad news -- especially as that lot number seems to indicate that unit was manufactured just last week...?

jackh

Argh. Returned my 512gb SP2 Lot #1348 with the 4200U CPU (purchased at MS online store on 13-Jan-2014). Got a replacement at the local Microsoft store that looked promising (also 512gb; Lot #1404), but it also turned out to be the older processor.

I'm surprised to see a 14xx lot number with the older processor. Time for another return. Posting here as a heads up.

Do we have any 14xx lot number info for the 512gb SP2 that so far appear to include the 4300U?

I got a 512 thru the online store January 21st lot 1352 and it was a 4300 processor--Go figure!!!!

I was told by the the person I spoke to that all 512's shipping after Jan 10th had the 4300--

Jack

benjitek

I was told by the the person I spoke to that all 512's shipping after Jan 10th had the 4300
Would be nice if that were true :-( I ordered my first on the 1/10, was told the same thing -- received a 4200; returned and reordered one that shipped on 1/17, was promised that 'the warehouse was contacted to make sure a 4300 shipped'; received another 4200...

Last edited:

jackh

Would be nice if that were true :-( I ordered my first on the 1/10, was told the same thing -- received a 4200; returned and reordered one that shipped on the 1/17, was promised that 'the warehouse was contacted to make sure a 4300 shipped'; received another 4200...

Bummer--mine was shipped the 21st and as promised 4300--Though it still has a few minor issues--Seems that their lot codes don't hold up for the newer processors--

Jack

OP
MickeyLittle

MickeyLittle

Bummer--mine was shipped the 21st and as promised 4300--Though it still has a few minor issues--Seems that their lot codes don't hold up for the newer processors--

Jack

It really only seems to be a roll the dice situation with the 512gb systems and that is probably because of the $1800 price tag has led to a surplus of the 4200u processors in their area for some reason.

GoodBytes

So it looks like the only reason we have the 4300U is to fill demand. As suspected, every OEMs uses the 4200U, so it's natural that it is back ordered often for Microsoft, so they switch with the 4300U, which probably Intel doesn't produce that much, which might explain why Intel sales it at the same price as the slower 4200U.

NGC

Just received from Best Buy 256 version. I'm not opening it until I'm sure I have the 4300.
My box label says:
Lot No/
DATE 1402
Model No. 1601
Above is all it says.
Any idea which CPU I have?