What's new

Solved Surface Pro 1 Won't boot

SilentEagle

Hi guys, I have a problem with my surface Pro 1.

It won't turn on, I've tried multiple troubleshooting steps, and they don't work. The charging cable light doesn't work, but the surface always charged. Now, when I tap the power button, and I press the start flag, I get haptic feedback, but nothing more. After a while, I have to press the power button again to get that feedback.

Thanks,
Tristan

kundas1

try hard shut down... Hold the power button and volume rocker down... till it reboots

or watch this video

OP
S

SilentEagle

Unfortunately that doesn't work, I've tried the Power button for 30 seconds trick, also doesn't work, power button + volume up, also doesn't work. After trying your solution, the start button, doesn't even give any feedback anymore when I press the power button.

OP
S

SilentEagle

It works again, thank you very much! You saved my day :)

EDIT: It turned on, but when I logged in, I saw my desktop for a split second, and then it turned off again :/

EDIT 2: I turned it back on, then I saw the surface logo, and then it turned off again, in the exact same state as before.

Last edited:

kundas1

well we almost got it... then the only thing I can suggest is do a factory restore, and that should fix it... if that doesn't fix it then something might be wrong with the onboard video and you're out of luck.... but try disconnecting the keyboard first and then perform a hard reset using the 2 button method up top

kundas1

also did you install some sort of video drivers that weren't compatible with your surface pro?

OP
S

SilentEagle

No I didn't, I mostly use it for school work, and then I tried to turn it on one day, and it didn't work. So it would be weird if it was broken all of a sudden.

OP
S

SilentEagle

Couldn't it be, that the battery had such a low charge, and the charger doesn't charge at its normal rate, that I have to wait a day or so, to let it fully charge, and try again, because maybe the battery's just dead and the charger doesn't work correctly. Because the battery worked fine before, 2/3 hours on one charge.

kundas1

it shouldn't take more than 3-4 hrs to charge fully... not a full day. if that was the case then your battery would be finished, is the SP1 plugged in while doing this? if not then maybe it needs to charge...but if its plugged in then it shouldn't matter what the battery level is. Try again the 2 button step maybe something might stick and the screen will stay on this time, if not then I suggest a full wipe to factory settings...