What's new

Surface Pen needs battery ..Duh!

Ok this is a little embarrassing; I grabbed my Surface pen right out the box and have been using it for several weeks. I was very impressed with its performance enough to try and reconfigure it function and then I discoverered it needs a AAAA battery :0

Now we are working .. of course the battery was in the box.​

Garyjk

I believe there are actually 3 batteries. 2 watch batteries in the cap and one AAAA battery that needs to be installed.
the AAAA battery is for the sensor and buttons. the watch batteries are for Bluetooth. so, you can click the top button and open onenote, but it won't write until the AAAA battery is installed.

OP
I

Intranetsites

ok not winning here! Battery dying in days

new Everready AAAA batteries $4 each are lasting about 3 days. I press the cap and it fires onenote and connects and 1 minute later it says not connected bluetooth.
So are theri NO indicators on this pen as to which batteries are dead ,, maybe it is the 2 watch batteries that are dead.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
It said no Bluetooth connection because it would not be feasible to maintain a connection 24/7, those little cell batteries would be dead within minutes.

ScottyS

. . . I press the cap and it fires onenote and connects and 1 minute later it says not connected bluetooth. . . .

The Bluetooth connects when you press the button and then becomes "not connected" to save the two little watch batteries' life. It's not supposed to say "connected" all the time in the Bluetooth settings.

But that feature (opening OneNote with the purple pen button) has been buggy on several of my past Surfaces (had 1 SPro and 3 SPro3 - one exchange was for that very issue and it didn't fix it).