What's new

Surface Pen in Word 2016

problempage

Using SP3, W10 and original pen in Office 365, Word 2016. You used to be able to use the pen to select text (to then edit) but now it will just ink over the document. In other words it seems you can no longer tell the pen to act as a pointing device in Word, mouse type function. Am I missing something?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Using SP3, W10 and original pen in Office 365, Word 2016. You used to be able to use the pen to select text (to then edit) but now it will just ink over the document. In other words it seems you can no longer tell the pen to act as a pointing device in Word, mouse type function. Am I missing something?
If inking is active, select the Ink Tools Tab and press stop inking and it will revert back to behave like a mouse.

SR69

If inking is active, select the Ink Tools Tab and press stop inking and it will revert back to behave like a mouse.

Using SP4, W10 and original pen in Office 365, Word 2016.
I was able to use the pen to select text (to then edit) but now it will just ink over the document. The Pen will no longer act as a pointing device (Mouse) in Word. Am I missing something? I tried multiple options to turn it off. Also, when I push the button on top (One Note) it does not open up anymore. How do I fix?

OP
P

problempage

Thanks for replying Jeff Roach. However, in my Word 365, 2016, there is no Ink Tool Tab. The 'Draw' tab does have a 'Select' Icon and this does nothing. This issue is the same on my partner's SP3 as we have identical devices and software.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using the one from the Store (i.e. the Mobile Version)? The Mobile Version behaves as you describe....

Desktop Version:

upload_2016-3-1_19-56-26.png

Mobile Version:

upload_2016-3-1_19-58-1.png

OP
P

problempage

Hi Jeff, No we are using full desktop Word 2016 MSO according to 'About'. Both of us using SP3 on W10 with SP3 pens. Overall, we totally love the SP3 with Office 365, just get these odd happenings that someone usually knows how to fix!

nnthemperor

Are you using the one from the Store (i.e. the Mobile Version)? The Mobile Version behaves as you describe....

Desktop Version:

View attachment 7966

Mobile Version:

View attachment 7967
If you have the "latest " version of Windows 10 installed, you can get the draw feature in the mobile version too and it behave just like the full version. The feature is enabled in my SP3. Also to get the feature on the full office version, you need to be on the office inside preview too

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jeff, No we are using full desktop Word 2016 MSO according to 'About'. Both of us using SP3 on W10 with SP3 pens. Overall, we totally love the SP3 with Office 365, just get these odd happenings that someone usually knows how to fix!
In Word open File Accounts and please post your Build Number....which is the four digits....
If you have the "latest " version of Windows 10 installed, you can get the draw feature in the mobile version too and it behave just like the full version. The feature is enabled in my SP3. Also to get the feature on the full office version, you need to be on the office inside preview too

Yep, that is why I said the behavior sounds like the Mobile Version.

OP
P

problempage

Hello Jeff,
Thanks again. Confirm that your attachment 7966 is what we are talking about, the full version of Word. Does not say build no. but this is the version against 'update options': 16.0.6568.2025. Clicked on the 'check updates' and it confirms latest is intalled.
nnthemperor....sorry don't know what insider preview is. If it is testing beta, I'm not on it! Appreciate your help.
Shane

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hello Jeff,
Thanks again. Confirm that your attachment 7966 is what we are talking about, the full version of Word. Does not say build no. but this is the version against 'update options': 16.0.6568.2025. Clicked on the 'check updates' and it confirms latest is intalled.
nnthemperor....sorry don't know what insider preview is. If it is testing beta, I'm not on it! Appreciate your help.
Shane
You are running a Office Insider Build from Feb 2016, which is pre-release and designed for testing...

In that build there should be a draw tab like OneNote instead of ink tools

OP
P

problempage

We are?! Don't know why we would be on the Insider Programme. Yes, we have the Draw tab, and in that Select Objects button but it does not select text as the print below shows. Perhaps it is a bug in what is apparently a Test release. Nothing suggested we were downloading a Test Release how do we revert to the proper working program? Thanks.
Draw Select.JPG