What's new

Surface Pen for Every Tablet?

GalGreenfield

Hi, everyone.

I want to know if the Surface Pen for Surface 3 works with any tablet, in all ways as it works on the Surface 3.

I have a Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2, and I want to use the Surface Pen due to its Bluetooth capabilities (buttons), with OneNote.

Thanks in advance.
That could help me in my studies *a lot*.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
No the Surface Pen works off of embedded sensors in the screen. If you hold a Surface 3 or Surface Pro at an angle to light you can see them when its off. there are a few other devices with the NTrig Pen technology but not many.

The Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 features AnyPen technology that allows you to use any metal object as a stylus... I have no idea how that works but the tip of the Surface pen is not metal.

From the Cnet review of the Tablet 2 ..." The versatility of using any nearby utensil to write with is an unparalleled feature, in comparison to other stylus-bearing tablets. I found ink pens left small ink marks on the screen, which are easy to remove with a microfiber cloth and a little bit of elbow grease, but I preferred to opt out of the constant screen maintenance and just use a pencil."

Hmm, a pencil is not metal :) maybe a Surface Pen would work on it but it might not.

Edit: info from PC Mag review: "It's worth noting that the term AnyPen might be overstating things, as it requires some sort of conductive material touching the display, like the graphite of a pencil, or the metal ball of a ballpoint pen. Colored pencils won't work (they use wax instead of graphite), and plastic or felt-tipped pens won't either. That said, the majority of pens or pencils should work just fine."

Last edited: