What's new

Surface Hub (pen control) available

Deryl McCarty

I had the same problem at the outset...installed Hub and then opened it and it saw no pen. Went through the device manager and the "device was working properly". The pen responded and wrote in One Note (Universal and desktop) just fine, but when I went back to Hub, it still saw no pen. So, after reading this forum a bit, I uninstalled and reinstalled Hub. No joy. Then, in a fit of absolute stupidity, I actually and verrrrry carefully read the red words in Hub that described the problem (no connection) and the solution. So I followed the instructions verrrry carefully and voila, Hub now works. Unfortunately I reported the issue thru the Win 10 feedback app and now feel even stupider. That is the one thing that Win 10 (8,7,Vista,XP, 2000, Millennium, 98 and 95) never prevented. I should recall what I learned in the military: RTFQ. (Bottom line: we still have the SP3 pen button issue, just not a Hub issue.)

Wiidesire

I experimented with the Surface Hub since yesterday and got an interesting side effect, which I really like!

I settled with the lowest settings ("most" to the left) and here is a quote from a complaint I got:
Only annoying thing is getting this shitty taskbar up (when in auto-hide) with your finger/pen. Not working 90% of the time on first try.
I do not have this problem anymore! Now it's working flawlessly. I'll just hover near the taskbar and it instantly appears. Wow. Anybody can confirm this? This is for sure no placebo, I was so pissed at this.

BillJ

Taskbar pops up with pen every time after installing hub, still does not respond predictably with touch.

Wiidesire

Taskbar pops up with pen every time after installing hub, still does not respond predictably with touch.
I agree, it didn't get better with touch only. However a trick is now better working after the update, just drag from above the edge(and mark) till the edge and the taskbar will pop up everytime for me.

Khalamus

If anyone has problems with pen recognition, just follow the steps mentioned in the app.

1. Open up Control Panel
2. Click on Hardware and Sound
3. Click on Devices and Printers
4. Click 3 times on the circle with an arrow at its end (refresh), to the left of the search bar on the top right corner of the window.
5. Restart the Surface Pen Hub app.

The app is disappointing, hopefully with time there will be added features which might make it worth downloading but as for now it is useless for me.

Thanks for creating the thread though, I would not have had any knowledge about it otherwise! Cheers for that!

Edit: please see Aurelios comment below this comment

/ Khalamus

Last edited:

Aurelio

If anyone has problems with pen recognition, just follow the steps mentioned in the app.

1. Open up Control Panel
2. Click on Hardware and Sound
3. Click on Devices and Printers
4. Click 3 times on the circle with an arrow at its end (refresh), to the left of the search bar on the top right corner of the window.
5. Restart the Surface Pen Hub app.

The app is disappointing, hopefully with time there will be added features which might make it worth downloading but as for now it is useless for me.

Thanks for creating the thread though, I would not have had any knowledge about it otherwise! Cheers for that!

/ Khalamus

But for this to work, you need to get sure you have the 2 last updates for PEN in your surface! Other wise it will not work even this 5 steps. I had this problem and was because of one update was missing.

Bandito

Unbelievable. The app does little to nothing and you have to stand on your head while rubbing your tummy and reciting Shakespeare backwards to get it to work. Way to go Microsoft!

The pen sensitivity adjustment doesn't do much for me. With it at the default setting, I am able to get three distinct line widths by varying the pressure. Turn in up even one notch and I can only create two line widths. Any higher and it's impossible to create any kind of narrow line. Setting it all the way to the left doesn't seem to do anything perceptible on my SP3.

Last edited:

kozak79

It's pretty useless. The curve adjustment is so slight and you can only change the OneNote button to Desktop? What's the point? Still can't change the side buttons. All we need is to be able to change the side buttons!