What's new

Surface Dock with SP4 questions

trident777

I just acquired a Surface Dock to use with my SP4 and dual 1080p monitor setup. I was really apprehensive reading all the problems but i'm happy to report that everything works perfectly... both my external monitors are running at 1080p/59hz and the desktop extends to my SP4 screen as well for the 3rd monitor running at 60Hz. I've also connected a Toshiba 1TB HDD that works perfectly as well as Ethernet (unfortunately my router is only Fast Ethernet 10/100, will have to upgrade to Gigabit one of these days! but good to know that the dock is Gigabit). I checked restart and sleep and that works fine as well.

I am using this mini displayport to HDMI adapter:
PPA Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

Question - I am planning to use my SP4 as my desktop machine 75% and as a laptop 25%, so this setup is going to be plugged in 24/7 for many days on end.

- I am assuming there are no reliability issues with running the dock continuously?
- what is the effect on the SP4 battery using it this way, i.e. continuously plugged in?

MickeyLittle

I just acquired a Surface Dock to use with my SP4 and dual 1080p monitor setup. I was really apprehensive reading all the problems but i'm happy to report that everything works perfectly... both my external monitors are running at 1080p/59hz and the desktop extends to my SP4 screen as well for the 3rd monitor running at 60Hz. I've also connected a Toshiba 1TB HDD that works perfectly as well as Ethernet (unfortunately my router is only Fast Ethernet 10/100, will have to upgrade to Gigabit one of these days! but good to know that the dock is Gigabit). I checked restart and sleep and that works fine as well.

I am using this mini displayport to HDMI adapter:
PPA Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

Question - I am planning to use my SP4 as my desktop machine 75% and as a laptop 25%, so this setup is going to be plugged in 24/7 for many days on end.

- I am assuming there are no reliability issues with running the dock continuously?
- what is the effect on the SP4 battery using it this way, i.e. continuously plugged in?

Sounds like a great setup to me. From what I remember (I could be wrong here) the Surface Docks don't keep charging the battery on the Surface Pro when it is fully charged so what you are planning to do should not be an issue.

But others will chime in who've more experience as I am only going on what I believe I've read.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's how I have used my sp4 for the past 2 years, albeit with a 34" ultawide. Such a use case has resulted in zero problems with dock or battery. I

convergent

I don't think you have any concerns. I've used several laptops this way including a MacBook Air, Dell, and Lenovo laptops. I intend to use the SP this way as well. Modern lithium ion batteries don't have a problem with this.

One thing you may want to consider that I intend to do with my setup is when at my desk to use the SP display as a OneNote writing tablet, so I have it tilted down in "studio" mode; and use external keyboard and mouse for driving my main display attached via the dock.