What's new

Surface Dock Firmware Update Failure

Sea_Sun_CEO

I have the new style dock but the USB ports don't work. I read that this could mean it needs a firmware update, so I downloaded the firmware updater tool. This shows that the firmware is indeed out of date, and begins the process of updating. However, after the process starts it immediately fails with the message "Firmware update failed. Please power cycle the Surface Dock and try again." I have done all kinds of power cycling, including leaving it unplugged all night, tried flipping the plug on the PC over (read that in another forum :)), and have used three different Surface Pros to attempt the update - nothing works. Suggestions??

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try updating the dock two ways; With USB devices connected, and without USB devices connected.

OP
S

Sea_Sun_CEO

Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that and it still didn't work. If it helps troubleshoot any further, in Device Manager under "Human Interface Devices" there is a yellow exclamation point on "Surface Dock Integration" and also on "Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)". They both go away when unplugged from the dock.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, try this:

Connect the dock. The remove it completely from Device Manager. Also remove the driver. Then immediately cold boot. Don't give the computer time to patch things up before a reboot.

OP
S

Sea_Sun_CEO

I have spent hours researching this all over the internet and following all suggestions here, yet the problem remains unchanged...

I have downloaded the latest Surface Dock Updater. After beginning It's just round robin disconnect (3minute)- reconnect - disconnect(3minuete) etc. prompts and shows no way of reaching success. Surface Pro 4. Latest version of Windows Pro 10 as of todays new version.

What is the problem with this updater? Should I crash the updater or what?

Application Error
Event ID: 1000 in Administrative Events log. Faulting application name: Microsoft.Surface.Dock.Updater.exe, version 2.1.6.0, time stam p; 0x58d9903c
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp:0x461a0ff5
Exception code: 0x0000000000069e08