What's new

Surface Book with P.B. or new Surface Pro i7 16GB Ram?

Surface_Pro

I think about buying a Surface Device. But I am not sure if I should buy the new Surface Pro i7 16GB Ram or the Surface Book with P.B. i7 16 GB Ram dGPU, because with the Student Price the Surface Pro (with keyboard and Pen) is only around 200€ cheaper than the Surface Book.

I will use the Surface especially for CAD (Siemens NX, Pro/Engineer, Rhino3D) and One Note, and I will buy a Docking Station for using the Surface as Desktop PC.

Now my Question: What do you think? Which Surface will have the better performance and graphics performance, especially in CAD?

I ask because I am not sure if I should buy a hardware, which is nearly a year old. Maybe the Surface Pro is better, although it has no dGPU. But I think you have more know how than me. Sorry for my bad english. ;)

MickeyLittle

Your English is fine. I think the main questions for you is portability. The Surface Pro is a tablet first and then a laptop while the Surface Book is a laptop first and then a tablet.

So which do you want to be better a tablet or a laptop? If you will be using tablet mode mostly then get the Pro but if laptop then get the Book. Yes both do both but seriously I have had both and can verify in my opinion what I am saying here is the truth and how people need to decide between the two.

Afy

Given you want to do graphics intensive work, the SB may be a better choice given the dGPU. MS has dropped the price of the SB, which typically signals a new model is around the corner.

OP
S

Surface_Pro

Your English is fine. I think the main questions for you is portability. The Surface Pro is a tablet first and then a laptop while the Surface Book is a laptop first and then a tablet.

So which do you want to be better a tablet or a laptop? If you will be using tablet mode mostly then get the Pro but if laptop then get the Book. Yes both do both but seriously I have had both and can verify in my opinion what I am saying here is the truth and how people need to decide between the two.

Thank you for your answer. I decided me now for buying an Surface Pro, because for most of the time I will use the Surface as Desktop PC at home in combination with the docking station and the other time I will using it as Tablet to take notes in the lectureship. In additional I do not want to wait again for a long time for the Surface Book 2.

MickeyLittle

Thank you for your answer. I decided me now for buying an Surface Pro, because for most of the time I will use the Surface as Desktop PC at home in combination with the docking station and the other time I will using it as Tablet to take notes in the lectureship. In additional I do not want to wait again for a long time for the Surface Book 2.

Good choice. Please post back and tell everyone how you are liking it. All forums like this give products a bad reputation because most people who post on them are upset because of problems that they are having. Most people go to forums to ask questions because they need help. So it is great to also start a thread giving good news such as how good your machine is for you or different ways you use it at home or out in public or wherever.

Good luck and I hope to see you around our forum ;)