What's new

Surface Book Sleep Issues!

Ryan0751

I have the late-2016 Surface Book with Performance Base, and I am having a bunch of issues with sleep.

The Surface Book just doesn't seem to want to stay off, even when closed. I plugged my Surface Book into my dock a few days ago, and when I came back to grab my laptop it was burning hot even though it was closed. It then wouldn't start and I had to reset it.

This isn't the first time this has happened. My dock consequently is connected to a bunch of USB devices, so I'm wondering if one of those it what is waking up the laptop. Still, these seems like a problem that should have been addressed a long time ago.

Is there any good way to debug this type of thing? Event viewer?

Or, is my Surface Book potentially bad?

Niterider4

Try leaving the SB in sleep undocked. That will isolate whether the problem is related to the dock and/or the USB devices connected to the dock. If the SB will not sleep properly when undocked, I would exchange it immediately. My SB never slept properly and there was nothing that could fix it (despite many, many different attempts).

If the SB sleeps properly when undocked, then try it docked with no USB devices. If that works, it's probably a USB device or hub. Surface products perform notoriously poorly with USB hubs, especially unpowered hubs. Connect USB devices one at a time to see if you can spot the problem. Finally, connect your hub.

Some people have also had success with this issue by going to Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus controllers, double click USB Root Hub (xHCI), select Power Management, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device ...".

OP
R

Ryan0751

Thanks. I tried it with the charger, not dock, and it didn't seem to get hot and what not. I'll have to investigate which USB devices are causing problems.

I've also noticed that the SB doesn't do so hot in sleep mode (not connected to power). My MacBook Pro can be left for a very long time in sleep mode and it seems to impact the battery very little. With the SB, I come back to the machine a day or two later and it's at 15%.

Niterider4

If you are losing that much battery when in sleep mode, that's a defect. That was happening to my original SB. I got it replaced and no longer have that problem. You should be able to leave it in sleep for a couple of days and only lose 10-20% battery.