What's new

Surface Book Issues

brandonsurf

1. Always lots of problems in Outlook, sometimes the ability to see folders or menus gets really messed up
2. Display crashes all the time & low memory issues

At least 3-4 times a day I have to restart in order to get it to work again.

Such a pain in the ass!!

Any recommendations?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
1. Always lots of problems in Outlook, sometimes the ability to see folders or menus gets really messed up
2. Display crashes all the time & low memory issues

At least 3-4 times a day I have to restart in order to get it to work again.

Such a pain in the ass!!

Any recommendations?
Hello, welcome to the community. I changed the prefix of your thread as it is reserved for instructional posts.

With that said, what version of Outlook are you using? Are you using any plugins? Is your Surface Book up to date with all driver and firmware updates?

Most Outlook problems like the one you are describing are caused by video driver issues, through the NVIDIA Control Panel (assuming it has the dGPU) you can assign the Intel GMA to Outlook and see if that fixes the issue.

OP
B

brandonsurf

Thanks Jeff,

I am using Outlook 2016 with Office 2016. I have some plugins - Dynamics CRM

Surface Book seems up to date when I checked today with driver/firmware. I have the 16GB version. I will check into the NVidia Control Panel.

Attachments

• Add-Ins.PNG
    Add-Ins.PNG
    65.1 KB · Views: 489
OP
B

brandonsurf

Thanks very much, I have changed Outlook & Chrome to use the High Performance NVidia Processor. We will see how it goes today.

Plugins - Sidekick, Dynamics CRM, and Evercontact.

I will poke around here to see about other performance enhancers.

Is there a thread about power settings, my Surface Book doesn't seem to sleep when I close the lid and the settings say it should. It seems to stay on in my laptop bag.

chicago

I struggled with this same issue for a long time (I am using Office 365, so the latest version of Outlook 2016). Ultimately, I used the office removal tool from Microsoft to completely remove Office, and then reinstalled the 64 bit version of Office (actually am using the insider early release version). I don't know why, but that appears to have resolved my problems with outlook details disappearing from the screen (only solution before was to close and restart Outlook many times a day). That has caused some other problems for me, as some of my plugins to my Office programs (e.g. Worldox) don't work with the 64 bit version of Office.

OP
B

brandonsurf

I struggled with this same issue for a long time (I am using Office 365, so the latest version of Outlook 2016). Ultimately, I used the office removal tool from Microsoft to completely remove Office, and then reinstalled the 64 bit version of Office (actually am using the insider early release version). I don't know why, but that appears to have resolved my problems with outlook details disappearing from the screen (only solution before was to close and restart Outlook many times a day). That has caused some other problems for me, as some of my plugins to my Office programs (e.g. Worldox) don't work with the 64 bit version of Office.

Ok, this is good to know. I may try that. Thanks!!