What's new

Surface book hangs on booting windows...

Stuco

My surface book crashed whilst updating, and now it will not boot into windows.

When booting it gets caught in some kind of loop, with the screen flashing and a blue screen with the loading bar present. It also displays this Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

I've got a USB windows 10 but can't seem to get the book to boot from USB!

I don't know what to do as I live in the UK, getting it replaced will be a pain.

Thanks

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here's what I had to do to get Window 10 reloaded. First get a USB drive with 8gbs or higher - then use Rufus to load a Windows.iso onto it - but here's the tricky part that no one tells you - the USB drive has to be formatted using exFat or Fat32 file system or the Surface WON'T RECOGNIZE the USB drive!

Once I formatted the drive I booted into the Surface Bios and made my USB drive the first boot device and BAM! I was able to do a clean install.

Another thing you might try is hitting your F8 key while booting and boot into "safe mode" - then of course edit your boot file and direct the Surface to only load the basic drivers and perhaps roll the system back.

I hope this helps and if you need any further assistance let me know. If yout question is ancient history and I didn't read the replies, it's because I'm old and I'm using a cell phone (handy) to cruise this forum at the moment. Apologies up front

OP
S

Stuco

OK I might have to give this a go.

Earlier today I used the recovery boot menu to reset windows (but kept personal files). It worked and updated fine, but on booting after the first restart I got the problem again.

Am trying to use the start-up repair option in the recovery boot mode for now.

Last edited:
OP
S

Stuco

The symptoms look identical to this.

One of the comments notes that it is likely due to conflicting drivers. I wonder if I update the drivers first after a reset if that will fix it.