What's new

Surface Book 3 - Additional External Monitor not Lighting Up

clawlesskurt

I have run into an issue with a new Surface Book 3 where I am trying to run 2 external monitors (Dell SE2719H), but one of them does not light up. I am using a Surface Dock 2 with USB-C to HDMI cables to send signal to the monitors. Windows detects the monitor as connected, and when I remote into the machine using my remote management software I am able to see the display signal, but the monitor never wakes up. This monitor works when connected to a Surface Pro 7 using the same cables. I have also tried using different monitors with this Surface Book 3 with the Dock 2, and still the second external device does not light up.

I am using the current firmware and drivers from Microsoft. Windows is completely updated on version 20H2. The surface display is running at 3000x2000 with the external monitors set to 1920x1080. I have verified that refresh rates are set to 60Hz, same as the native refresh rate of the Dell monitors. Any guidance in how to get this issue fixed would be appreciated.

Cadenhead

I had issues with the Surface Dock 2 and two external monitors as well. I returned the dock and bought a single widescreen monitor so I could connect directly to the Surface Book 3. It works, but I'm not totally happy with it. The screen on the widescreen monitor seems stretched and I can't get things to display the way they should. Text on the Surface Book 3 screen seems to vibrate at times and I have video glitches as well. None of these things happen to the point that it unusable, just annoying. I'd like to find a monitor that works well with the Surface Book 3 right out of the box. I do use my widescreen in split screen mode.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have run into an issue with a new Surface Book 3 where I am trying to run 2 external monitors (Dell SE2719H), but one of them does not light up. I am using a Surface Dock 2 with USB-C to HDMI cables to send signal to the monitors. Windows detects the monitor as connected, and when I remote into the machine using my remote management software I am able to see the display signal, but the monitor never wakes up. This monitor works when connected to a Surface Pro 7 using the same cables. I have also tried using different monitors with this Surface Book 3 with the Dock 2, and still the second external device does not light up.

I am using the current firmware and drivers from Microsoft. Windows is completely updated on version 20H2. The surface display is running at 3000x2000 with the external monitors set to 1920x1080. I have verified that refresh rates are set to 60Hz, same as the native refresh rate of the Dell monitors. Any guidance in how to get this issue fixed would be appreciated.
Are your USB-C to HDMI active or passive cables? The active cables work better, especially going into a dock.