What's new

Surface Book 2 ... Use Tablet only on Desk, use Bluetooth Mouse and Keyboard, USB?

coover

I want to place my Surface Book 2 Tablet on the top of my desk, disconnected from the Keyboard, as the desktop is an uncomfortable location for me to type. I need to place the keyboard below the desktop in a pullout drawer. Additionally, I would prefer a full size keyboard to the Surface Keyboard. A bluetooth keyboard seems to be the answer, but ... I can not find a bluetooth keyboard with an USB port available.

The 2nd possibility, of course, would be the Surface Keyboard being detached and then placed in the drawer under my desk. Unfortunately, it appears that the when the Surface Keyboard is unattached, it is completely disconnected from the Tablet and is of no use.

I've only had the Surface Book for a couple of days and, perhaps, somebody out there knows more about this problem than I. I hope you can help or give suggestions that may help.

I love Surface products. i still have a Surface pro 7, and have had in the past the Surface Pro 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 ... all purchased used. I've been very lucky moving up with each new version by purchasing a new version (used) and selling the older version, sometimes, in fact, most of the time, for more than I paid for the newer version. I've goon from Surface pro 1 to Surface Pro 7 at virtually no cost.

Wayne Orwig

Can't you get a Surface Dock, plug that into the tablet section to charge it and get you USB. Then use a USB or Bluetooth keyboard.

OP
C

coover

Thanks, Wayne. How does the Surface Dock plug into the Tablet/Display by itself. The only ports on the Tablet are the Headphone port and, on the bottom, a charging port. Does the Dock plug into that bottom charging port? That would make sense as that is where the keyboard plugs in to the Display.

The Surface Dock plugs into the charging port at the bottom of the Tablet. I then run two external monitors plus mouse, keyboard, printer and scanners off the Surface Dock. I like it this way as I can have the Tablet mounted just below my main monitor. I've circled the Surface dock and the plug below.

1604160515923.png

mjblazin

Are you using Surface Dock or Surface Dock 2? Surface Dock 2 has problems with 2 external monitors. If you solved that issue, MS needs to send you an award.

I'm using the older Surface Dock 1661 not the Surface Dock 2. The two monitors I have running off it are.

Surface Dock >> Mini DP >> DP >> Dell U3417W at 3440 X 1440
Surface Dock >> Mini DP >> HDMI >> BenQ GL2450H at 1920 x 1080

OP
C

coover

Picked up a Surface Dock 1661 with AC (important that you have both) and it works perfectly. I am not trying to use external monitor, just the Surface Book, itself, sitting on a stand on my desk, with the dock connected to a usb keyboard.