What's new

Surface Book 2 - Predictions?

wynand32

So, there are rumblings around the rumor mills that a Surface Book 2 could be introduced along with Creators Update in March or April. The possibility is a little surprising to me given how recently Performance Base was introduced, but I suppose Microsoft could have simply been holding people over.

Assuming that the SB2 is indeed released this Spring (instead of the alternative October timeframe), what is everyone predicting/hoping for with the new model? Here are mine:

1. Kaby Lake (of course)
2. Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 in the base (possibly the 1060, but I doubt it)
3. 32GB RAM option
4. USB Type-C with Thunderbolt 3 (possibly supporting external GPU enclosures)
5. 15" screen option (still 3:2)
6. Wireless charging for a new Surface pen
7. Redesigned hinge with less of a gap
8. 4K resolution (not sure what that would be with 3:2)

I'd love a 15" 4K option, as long as the quality is as excellent as with the original SB. The best things about Surface so far as been the incredible display quality-colors, brightness, contrast, white temp, all are the best around. I'm expecting that a 15" SB2 would be incredibly expensive, however. I'm not sure how much I'll be willing to pay for an SB2 given some of the other excellent 2-in-1 devices coming out (not to mention workhorse notebooks like the Dell XPS 15, which also attractive to me).

I'm in the market for a new machine to replace my Surface Pro 4 (the screen is too small for my workflow lately), so I'm really looking forward to seeing what Microsoft has up its sleeves.

Okay, your turn...

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure 15" would or should have much effect on price. 15" laptops are frequently cheaper in part because there is less miniaturization engineering that goes into making the product. In this case they would probably use the same motherboard and just have more space or possibly a bigger battery. Aside from the larger screen and battery maybe they would add a couple more ports? That doesn't sound like much work so cost is incremental to materials. Then again maybe they'd take the opportunity to gouge customers on price for no reason.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks like GTX 1050 is in the 75W range, IDK if they can be scaled back, but 75W might require some magic to get that into a SB base.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I don't think we'll see one this quarter. I think they'll have an sp5 and something new and exciting.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
All I can do is....

tumblr_mqwvcmeYE01qew6kmo1_500.gif

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Personally I don't think we'll see one this quarter. I think they'll have an sp5 and something new and exciting.

I was with you, but I've since heard some rumblings that make me inclined to think it will be introduced along with Creators Update (either March or April, not caught up on which quarter it is).

OP
wynand32

wynand32

I'm not sure 15" would or should have much effect on price. 15" laptops are frequently cheaper in part because there is less miniaturization engineering that goes into making the product. In this case they would probably use the same motherboard and just have more space or possibly a bigger battery. Aside from the larger screen and battery maybe they would add a couple more ports? That doesn't sound like much work so cost is incremental to materials. Then again maybe they'd take the opportunity to gouge customers on price for no reason.

I'd think the impact on price would be the cost of the display panel. Microsoft already likely pays a pretty penny for their displays--just about nobody else sells 3:2 displays, and so these are essentially custom panels made for Microsoft, not to mention that Microsoft is already sourcing real quality. Anybody who wonders why Surface costs more just has to sit them down next to many OEM equivalents and compare display colors, contrast, white temp, etc.

So, yeah, a 15" 3:2 panel with this level of quality would be, I imagine, pricey. Plus, once Microsoft goes larger, then they can add in more battery as well, as you mention, and they could also make space for higher-end components. For example, maybe they'd go with a 1060 rather than 1050 in the 15" model and add extra cooling with the extra space, a la Performance Base.

Of course, this is all speculation, along with the SB2 coming this soon after Performance Base. But that's what makes it all so much fun! :)