What's new

Solved 'Surface' App pen preferences keep resetting

HighZenBurger

Whenever I change the sensitivity of the pen in the surface app's settings, they will eventually reset at random- I've tested to see if it happens when the surface is reset or turned off but this is not the case. Is the app meant to reset at certain points? Is there a way to stop this? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome, @HighZenBurger

Do you have multiple Windows 10 computers registered? If so, settings on one may be overwriting the other. Also, driver updates will often not respect hardware settings, since changing the driver will also change the calibration or sensitivity you wish to adjust. It could be that you are not aware of some driver updates that have completed. Check your "Update history".

Let us know.

OP
H

HighZenBurger

Welcome, @HighZenBurger

Do you have multiple Windows 10 computers registered? If so, settings on one may be overwriting the other. Also, driver updates will often not respect hardware settings, since changing the driver will also change the calibration or sensitivity you wish to adjust. It could be that you are not aware of some driver updates that have completed. Check your "Update history".

Let us know.

Hi, thanks for your response! Since yesterday, my settings have reset again and I checked my update history just now and I haven't had any updates. I don't have any other computers, let alone any with windows 10, so I'm not at all sure what it could be.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. Let's hit this thing head-on. Isolation.

1. Make your settings changes. Test to verify.
2. Reboot, verify settings still applied.
3. Cold-reboot (see below), verify setting still applied.
4. Browse web, verify settings ...
5. Use all your favorite apps or programs, verify settings after each ...
6. If no problems from above, then allow Surface to sleep or hibernate. Wake up. Verify settings.

Cold-Reboot:
1. Press and hold Power for a full 30 seconds. Release.
2. Press and hold Power+Volume Up until Surface logo appears. Release both.
3. Exit UEFI menus. Make no changes.

OP
H

HighZenBurger

Okay. Let's hit this thing head-on. Isolation.

1. Make your settings changes. Test to verify.
2. Reboot, verify settings still applied.
3. Cold-reboot (see below), verify setting still applied.
4. Browse web, verify settings ...
5. Use all your favorite apps or programs, verify settings after each ...
6. If no problems from above, then allow Surface to sleep or hibernate. Wake up. Verify settings.

Cold-Reboot:
1. Press and hold Power for a full 30 seconds. Release.
2. Press and hold Power+Volume Up until Surface logo appears. Release both.
3. Exit UEFI menus. Make no changes.

None of those things reset the settings, but last night after adjusting the setting again I left everything on my computer open and shut the lid and left it until morning, where it had restarted and also reset my settings... I think it's come about because I don't often properly shut down my surface since nothing you suggested reset my preferences. Thanks for your help :)

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay - We will wait for confirmation from you that a proper shutdown after making your settings changes makes those settings remain.

This way, you will be helping others whom may have the same issue.

OP
H

HighZenBurger

Okay - We will wait for confirmation from you that a proper shutdown after making your settings changes makes those settings remain.

This way, you will be helping others whom may have the same issue.

After shutting it down and coming back the next day to check my preferences I can see they haven't changed! No wonder I couldn't find any help online, it was so simple. Thanks again for the help!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Wonderful.

After changing preference settings for the pen, properly shut down ("Shut down", not "Restart").

Then boot back up.

Marking Solved.

Shldnet

Same problem here, I had the same on a surface pro 4 as well. This is another of thoses places where I regret loving my surface so much and depending on it as much as I do. I just reset, changed the settings and rebooted. I'll come back and update if it gets reset again sometime ;) Thanks for the advice !