What's new

Surface 3 Pen Bent Severely

chris426

20160920_194324[1].jpg
20160920_194342[2].jpg
20160920_194324[1].jpg
I just got a Surface 3 pen for school about a week ago. Everything was fine, until I noticed a big dent near the top of it. It is impossible to get the AAAA battery out, because I think it dented the battery, too. Surprisingly, the pen still worked, with the battery dented. I tried to bend the pen the opposite way, and when I tried to use the pen after that, it just STOPPED. My mom spent a lot of money on this, and I hope there is a solution, because she doesn't know that it is broken, and I don't think I can return it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Chris.

My thoughts are that 1. you should have immediately contacted microsoft with proof of the damage, as opposed to trying to brute force it yourself. 2. IIRC the pens are not shipped with the AAAA battery pre-installed, which would suggest that it has been damaged by the user. If it is a case of user damage as I suspect, then you have no option but to buy a new one.

By all means contact microsoft or the seller and make your case if you do not believe it through your own actions, but I wouldn't hold up much hope. Worst case scenario is that you will have to buy a new pen which isn't all that expensive off somewhere like ebay.

OP
C

chris426

Thanks for the suggestion. There is no visible sign of me trying to bend it because the metal would not budge. Maybe it stopped working because the battery moved slightly away from the contact and I didn't notice. Do you believe that Amazon or Microsoft could potentially replace the pen if I could prove that it wasn't misused. There was no way I dented it in the first place because 1. It was with my tablet almost all the time and I always babying it. 2. Someone at my school could just easily swap the dented one with one that has no damage without noticing. Also the Bluetooth part is perfectly fine.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can you just confirm that when you got the pen it was fine, and it is now damaged as per the pictures (and not damaged straight out of the packaging).

If it is the case that it was not damaged when bought, then you stand pretty much no hope of getting a free replacement (by all means get on live chat with microsoft and ask, you never know). With a battery inside, it would take some serious force to damage it like that. It looks like it has been crushed underneath a chair leg or something. Whether it was you who somehow damaged it, or someone stole yours and replaced for theirs, it will simply be viewed as user damage and not a product defect so will not be covered by any form of warranty.

The bluetooth components are all located in the top part of the pen which unscrews, and uses its own batteries, so damage to the main section of the pen will not effect bluetooth functionality (not true with the new model though)