What's new

Surface 3 (not Pro) Can't resurrect it after long hibernation.

Mean Spitfire

Hi, The last time I used it was in 2018. I then bought a laptop and stopped using the Surface. I recharged it every 6 months or so. Now I want to resume using it, but it came up with an error, 0xc0000185, telling me that I need an install media. So I put my Media Creation Tool (used on my PC, Win 10/64 PRO) in the USB port, and rebooted using Vol - with the power button simultaneously. Now, I got a bit farther. It asks me to choose my keyboard. But I can't go any farther. I can't go down to "See more keyboard layouts" because I don't have the MS Surface KB that I bought at the same time I bought the Surface 3. That MS KB failed just after the warranty expired on it. I can't even select the highlighted United Kingdom KB. So I now have a Bluetooth KB (bought after the MS KB died) which needs to be paired, which is not possible since the Surface isn't up yet. The MS pen is also useless. And not being in tablet mode, I can't use my finger to select anything on the screen... Pickle! I'm in a pickle! Any solution??? OR should I make a new MCT for the Surface? I can't remember, but it may use Win 10/64 Home, as opposed to Pro for my PC. I could then make a "Home" MCT. Please advise. Thanks very much, John

OP
M

Mean Spitfire

Thank you GreyFox7.

Mine is cordless. I'll have to try and borrow one, or buy a low cost one and keep on using it instead of the blue tooth one. In case this is more involved, I might come back to you. ;) Thanks again, John

OP
M

Mean Spitfire

Hi GreyFox7! I ran into more problems... The MCT starts the install, but stops at 18% and produced an error about some file that could not load, or words to that effect. I tried again but in vain. As a last resort, I chose to format the Windows partition where it should install. That failed too; after about a minute, formatting hit a snag and quit. I tried the MCT again, but this time, it comes back immediately and tells me that the drive cannot be formatted... So, since the MCT can't force Windows to install, is there any other possibility? I was thinking of using Disk Manager to "rebuild" the SSD, but don't have access to it at this early stage. Any idea? Thanks, John

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sounds like the ssd may have given up the ghost or smoke as you have it. Old electronics joke, electronics work on smoke because when they release their smoke they quit working.

Might try Diskpart from the Command Prompt (maybe you already did) ... Or an SSD/disk testing program. It been awhile since I used one so I'm not presently able to recommend one that still works for sure...

Think You Might Have a Hard Drive Problem? Test It for Free
This march 1 2021 list may help... I think I'd start with HD Tune from that list. You should be able to put it on your MCT bootable drive.

OP
M

Mean Spitfire

Hi GreyFox7...

No joy!

I think that your assessment of the health status of the SSD is most likely correct. I'm not getting anywhere, pretty fast!

Diskpart and the "repair" options are not helping. I get errors such as "unable to format", "license key cannot be found", "Your mother-in-law is too ugly", ;) etc... I will look into SSD checkers, such as what you suggested above for HDDs. Failing that, my options are few... burial at sea is one, but I live about 2,000 miles from the ocean. Another would be to use it as a glorified dart board, but the Li-Ion battery would most likely "object"...

So I'll see if a checking app can help. In the meantime, I want to thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

John

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi GreyFox7...

No joy!

I think that your assessment of the health status of the SSD is most likely correct. I'm not getting anywhere, pretty fast!

Diskpart and the "repair" options are not helping. I get errors such as "unable to format", "license key cannot be found", "Your mother-in-law is too ugly", ;) etc... I will look into SSD checkers, such as what you suggested above for HDDs. Failing that, my options are few... burial at sea is one, but I live about 2,000 miles from the ocean. Another would be to use it as a glorified dart board, but the Li-Ion battery would most likely "object"...

So I'll see if a checking app can help. In the meantime, I want to thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,

John
Cheese Tray is a popular choice

OP
M

Mean Spitfire

Hi again GreyFox7.

I tried HDDScan, HDSentinel and CrystalDiskInfo. All 3 returned the exact same error: "This version of (app) is not compatible with your version of Windows..."

So it's officially TOAST! :eek: I must say that I still like that cheese tray suggestion; no harm in repurposing! ... or maybe a chopping board?

Thanks again,

John

Attachments

• Cheese Tray.jpg
    Cheese Tray.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 353

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi again GreyFox7.

I tried HDDScan, HDSentinel and CrystalDiskInfo. All 3 returned the exact same error: "This version of (app) is not compatible with your version of Windows..."

So it's officially TOAST! :eek: I must say that I still like that cheese tray suggestion; no harm in repurposing! ... or maybe a chopping board?

Thanks again,

John
Beautiful :D