What's new

Surface 3 LTE has no internet on HSPA+ network

Plantje

Actually the title says it all. I have a Surface 3 LTE which connects to the internet just fine! I'm using Vodafone on the Netherlands.

However, at some point I see that I have no internet. The indicator still shows I am connected. And it takes forever for the computer to come to the conclusion that there is a network to connect to (HSPA+) but there is no internet on it. After disconnecting if I want to reconnect I have to enter an APN of which I am pretty sure I have already done that!

A reboot fixes the issue. Then the tablet sees the LTE band/network again and I am happy internetting again.

Any thoughts?

Ivo.Orfanelli

Same for me. Surface 3 LTE, wifi seems fine, but when using Lte (hspa+) it loses connectivity after a while. Very inconsistent connection. Tried also to enable Airplane mode before sending the device to "sleep". In some cases the LTE modem could not even be re-activated (the toggle would not stay on "enable")... the reboot solution seems to solve everyting but it is very annoying ... not really a device that can be quickly activated and sent to sleep like Android or iOS tablets do... Connected standby seems to have some flaws at this point.

pins4

Same for me. Surface 3 LTE, wifi seems fine, but when using Lte (hspa+) it loses connectivity after a while. Very inconsistent connection. Tried also to enable Airplane mode before sending the device to "sleep". In some cases the LTE modem could not even be re-activated (the toggle would not stay on "enable")... the reboot solution seems to solve everyting but it is very annoying ... not really a device that can be quickly activated and sent to sleep like Android or iOS tablets do... Connected standby seems to have some flaws at this point.
Same issue but the icon on the bottom right recognizes the wifi but neither Google Chrome or Edge recognize the wifi. Reboot and it is there for a short time but then gone again. do I have some setting wrong? Just not savvy enough to understand so I reset to all defaults in case I messed something up but still no luck????? Extremely annoying since my main focus is internet.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

What I am asking? I started a topic about my Surface 3 LTE not having internet while on HSPA+ band. Your reply is only about WiFi

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I only have it on HSPA+ band. Not on LTE/4G, 3G, UMTS etc.

I have a new solution for consistent connection
I have a new Samsung note 12.2 and noticed it seems to have a more consistent lte internet connection that my surface 3.
So not I turn my Samsung android in the hotspot and wifi connect my surface 3 to my Samsung.
Now I appear to have a better connection.
So it appears the Samsung has a better radio than MS Surface 3 LTE version.

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I don't know why, but in my case it only happens when connected to HSPA+. LTE doesn't seem to be an issue, UMTS is ok, GPRS is ok etc. Only HSPA+ is an issue. I think that is not caused by bad radio

OP
Plantje

Plantje

I have been in contact with Vodafone. They have made some changes, but unfortunately the issue remains there. Both my Lumia 950 and my Surface 3 LTE have a Vodafone SIM. As long as the Surface 3 LTE is on 4G/LTE everything is fine. As soon as internet is gone I check the connection and every time that happens I notice I am on HSPA+.

If I reboot the Surface it immediately has internet connection using 4G/LTE again. If I disconnect mobile internet and try to reconnect I get notified the APN is not correct (which all of a sudden is not an issue after rebooting). That makes me think it is more an issue with my Surface 3 LTE than with the provider.

This morning I made a picture of my Lumia 950 next to my Surface 3 LTE both on the Vodafone network. One did have internet access and the other didn't. It is never the other way around.

Attachments

• WP_20160421_09_03_52_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160421_09_03_52_Pro.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 612

rozak

I am facing the same problems. Device connects to HSPA+ and after a short while it looses connectivity. Trying to re-establish connection rarely works.
Bottom line, for me it is unusable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk