What's new

Surface 3 is the tablet I wanted vs Pro 3 but can't change

spinachpie

When I bought my SP3, it was because I wanted a Tablet which wasn't a toy.

SP3 surpassed my expectations but the Surface 3 at those price points was the tablet I would have purchased if available.

I use my surface all the time when travelling and was frustrated at my iPad's inability to play different movie files and do anything other than look at apps.

When I am away I also want the ability to properly surf the Web, and the Pro did that for me.

Now MS has provided all of the above at a cheaper price and with the ability to charge via USB, which is a HUGE bonus for lightweight travelling.

I don't think I could give up my pro and get a surface 3 now, but I think this is a winner for MS.

Would you swap?

hannytyo

will not swap my SP3 with S3... but more to swap my Surface RT to S3. i usually change my hardware when it is 2 gen behind.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not surprised that some with an SP3 feel they would not switch to a Surface 3 as they really are targeted at different user segments. The reality is, there are far more users available in the segment targeted by Surface 3 than those targeted by SP3. There is also far more competition for the users in the segment targeted by S3. It remains to be seen if S3 will catch a following or fall to the fate of so many others. I think it will be a success, barring some unforeseen showstopper, and I am raising my stake in Microsoft Stock, MSFT closed at 41.76 yesterday.

ctitanic

I'm not surprised that some with an SP3 feel they would not switch to a Surface 3 as they really are targeted at different user segments. The reality is, there are far more users available in the segment targeted by Surface 3 than those targeted by SP3. There is also far more competition for the users in the segment targeted by S3. It remains to be seen if S3 will catch a following or fall to the fate of so many others. I think it will be a success, barring some unforeseen showstopper, and I am raising my stake in Microsoft Stock, MSFT closed at 41.76 yesterday.
No question about it. Take 100 dollars out it or give away the keyboard for free and you have a winner in the S3. For the current price, I doubt that is going to be a hit.

I'm very happy with my SP3 and wouldn't trade for he S3, as far as users go it depends on what you do. I run Photoshop, sometimes Illustrator and Dreamweaver and it runs great... no slow downs at all. I have an i7 256 which has 8GB of RAM, the most you can get in a S3 is 4GB of ram... I don't think it would handle the programs as well as my SP3. I could very well be wrong about that but the programs can be pretty taxing on the system also I like the size of the screen on the SP3. I would definitely choose the S3 over any tablet like an iPad or similar.