What's new

Surface 3 dock to surface PRO 4 ?

alucard_xs

Hi everyone,

Actually in France, the Dock for Surface 3 is at 10 euros. As I'm the proud owner of a surface PRO 4, I'm wondering if it's possible to adapt it to surface pro 4, using some cuts.
Did someone try ?

Thanks ;)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum

If you mean the dock for the Surface 3 (non-pro) then I can't see how it could work. It is a totally different size, and uses completely different connectors.

If however, you mean the dock for the surface pro 3, then this will work out of the box with the surface pro 4, although I'm aware that the SP4 is thinner so you might need a card spacer to make it a snug fit.

OP
A

alucard_xs

Nope, I was talking about the surface 3 (non pro).
I'm gonna cut some plastic but it should fit.
You say that it uses different connectors ? I'm not so sure, The only port available on the dock (surface 3) are the display port and one USB, so it should fit no ?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface 3 dock connects to the Micro-USB and Mini-DP Port, where the Surface Pro 3 and Pro 4 docks connect to the Surface Connector. The Surface 3 Dock is incompatible with any of the Pro devices...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point is that the SP4 uses the magnetic port for its data stream to the dock. I'm only speculating, but I imagine that you will have trouble getting drivers on the sp4 which allow for the video etc to be output via usb and not the magnetic port, unless the S3 dock is just a displaylink dock
The Surface 3 dock connects to the Micro-USB and Mini-DP Port, where the Surface Pro 3 and Pro 4 docks connect to the Surface Connector. The Surface 3 Dock is incompatible with any of the Pro devices...

The only way I imagine it could possibly be compatible is if the S3 dock uses displaylink. I imagine Microsoft are using something proprietary though.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My point is that the SP4 uses the magnetic port for its data stream to the dock. I'm only speculating, but I imagine that you will have trouble getting drivers on the sp4 which allow for the video etc to be output via usb and not the magnetic port, unless the S3 dock is just

The only way I imagine it could possibly be compatible is if the S3 dock uses displaylink. I imagine Microsoft are using something proprietary though.
I don't even think the mini-DP on the S3 and SP devices are in the exact same spot...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't even think the mini-DP on the S3 and SP devices are in the exact same spot...

Just lined them up, and the usb and DP are identical in terms of distance apart. However, because the SP4 is a taller device, the surface ports would sit above the dock connectors.

You just need to look at a photo of the surface dock to know that in order to make it work, you'd have to utterly destroy both sides of the dock, as well as the bottom. Especially as you'd be blocking off the charging port on the SP4. In short, even if the dock could work via USB, you'd end up with something hideous, impractical, and doing a very poor job in the process.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see, I wasn't aware ofhow that dock operated, just the pro dock which snaps closed in a different way. From that post it looks like the tablet is just leaning against the dock, not very secure, and risks damaging the ports. I'm also not seeing anything regarding whether any of the dock functions actually work e.g audio and network. If all it is doing is working as a powered usb hub then why not just buy a powered usb hub and safe the effort.

If it is only ten euros though, I don't see why you don't just buy it and try.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's my understanding that the Surface 3 dock only connects to the USB A port and mini DP (Displayport) and does not have a micro USB connection.

Physical dimension differences notwithstanding just connect the two via extension cables. USB A to USB A, mini DP to mini DP. you could lean the SP4 against the S3 Dock with a block at the bottom to hold it in place. ;)