What's new

Stop the Distraction - Block all tweaking with XTU

Cothek

The Internet is ablaze with, its too hot, its throttling, Why is my CPU/GPU frequency xxx. etc. etc.

GreyFox would you mind pointing us to these posts/articles that have caused this "blaze"?

Last edited:

Adrain

Having lurked here for some weeks before my purchase of my shiny new SP3 I have to say the combined commentary on heat/throttling/fans in the SP3 nearly put me off moving from my entirely Apple existence to this product. To be clear I would have missed out terribly.

I posted here last week when the product became available here in the UK it has performed absolutely faultlessly, done everything that is asked of it first time and become a great addition to my mobile computing armoury.

I am sitting here typing this on my SP3, yes the fan is running (quietly) but it is an I7 in a 10mm form factor device. Did I expect this to be iPad quiet - No.

Greyfox is absolutely right in his view that the combined desire to tweak and trim the performance of the device by many unqualified people, who view they may know better than the manufacturer, and then broadcast the issues on the internet will put off many less adventurous users. I have not generally seen this level of commentary in the Apple community in relation to hardware tweaks.

As I have previously noted I am in no doubt that many have had significant teething problems with the SP3 however I do remain concerned that many expect iPad levels of silence and thermal performance in a device that has many times more flexibility and power.

I have been a loyal Apple user for many years and avoided Microsoft products generally (for my own reasons) but the proper integration of a pen in the SP3 may be the largest step in tablet computing since the iPad. Microsoft rightly deserve tremendous success with this product and I am sure we all as users of the product want that as well. If not return it and get your money back !!!

To make a long point short, lets try and be balanced in our criticisms and views of this adventurous product.

Regards
Adrian

kundas1

GreyFox would you mind pointing us to these posts/articles that have caused this "blaze"?

you don't have to go far to find them, just look on this forum alone and there is another forum I frequent has people complaining about this problem... just do a search here and you will find it for yourself.. another forum is "tablet pc forums" which has other people a blaze like greyfox has mentioned...

kundas1

Having lurked here for some weeks before my purchase of my shiny new SP3 I have to say the combined commentary on heat/throttling/fans in the SP3 nearly put me off moving from my entirely Apple existence to this product. To be clear I would have missed out terribly.

I posted here last week when the product became available here in the UK it has performed absolutely faultlessly, done everything that is asked of it first time and become a great addition to my mobile computing armoury.

I am sitting here typing this on my SP3, yes the fan is running (quietly) but it is an I7 in a 10mm form factor device. Did I expect this to be iPad quiet - No.

Greyfox is absolutely right in his view that the combined desire to tweak and trim the performance of the device by many unqualified people, who view they may know better than the manufacturer, and then broadcast the issues on the internet will put off many less adventurous users. I have not generally seen this level of commentary in the Apple community in relation to hardware tweaks.

As I have previously noted I am in no doubt that many have had significant teething problems with the SP3 however I do remain concerned that many expect iPad levels of silence and thermal performance in a device that has many times more flexibility and power.

I have been a loyal Apple user for many years and avoided Microsoft products generally (for my own reasons) but the proper integration of a pen in the SP3 may be the largest step in tablet computing since the iPad. Microsoft rightly deserve tremendous success with this product and I am sure we all as users of the product want that as well. If not return it and get your money back !!!

To make a long point short, lets try and be balanced in our criticisms and views of this adventurous product.

Regards
Adrian

well said comrade....

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its unlikely Microsoft would actually do this and it would not be the first time they didn't listen to my advice; even if they eventually did what I had suggested, only years later. They certainly are not known for listening to people. Ho hum.