What's new

Statement from MS

ctitanic

Microsoft has posted this statement:

On Wednesday, July 16, we will issue our second July update for Surface Pro 3 Wi-Fi. Collectively, these updates address the great majority of customer feedback around Wi-Fi consistency. Specifically, these updates address:
  • Limited Connectivity after exiting Connected Standby
  • Limited Connectivity after exiting Hibernate
  • Limited Connectivity during active use
If you are experiencing Wi-Fi connection inconsistency, we strongly recommend that you download and install this update; we have been using this update and have seen an improved experience. But we are not done. We are still very focused on two remaining areas:
  • Wi-Fi isn’t available in the Settings charm or under the Connections setting. We are seeing a few reports of Wi-Fi being unavailable, which requires a reboot to resolve. We don’t have an immediate fix, but we continue to work on this and will have an update as soon as possible.
  • Dropped connections or reduced throughput to certain access points. As mentioned above, the July 16 firmware update will address the majority of Limited Connectivity scenarios. However, there are still fringe scenarios where Limited Connectivity errors are present or network throughput is lower than expected, depending on the network configuration. We anticipate multiple improvements over time.
    • Note: When measuring your network throughput, the most accurate and reliable indicator of network speed is through a third-party speed test like using Speedtest.net, not necessarily through the local network speed indicator reported in Network Connections settings.
We will keep you informed as we continue to make your Surface Pro 3 experience better and better – http://blog.surface.com/2014/04/windows-update-makes-surface-better/.
Thanks for posting in the forums, and reach out to us again with any further questions.
Best Wishes,

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...11&msgId=cadd60c3-5b16-4368-a153-2a4abe5a44a5

Assistivetek

I just bought a SP 3 yesterday and I am having issues with Wi-Fi isn’t available in the Settings charm or under the Connections setting. If I stay in the same WiFi area I'm fine but if the Surface Pro goes to Sleep ad I then use another hotspot-there are no connections present. Then I have to reboot

Brian S Friedlander
Surface MVP

wynand32

Same here -- if I switch locations, I get the same "Wi-Fi isn't available" issue. Also, it seems like the "Connect automatically" setting doesn't always stick, and often I'll have to re-select a network when the machine wakes up. I don't think this is the same issue...

kodos

The Wifi issues are more than a little frustrating. I think I have rebooted my SP3 more in the last week and a half than most of my machines get rebooted in half a year.

But I figure they will solve most of these issues eventually. The i7 and i3 owners will hopefully get a much smoother experience :)

diamond.g

I just bought a SP 3 yesterday and I am having issues with Wi-Fi isn’t available in the Settings charm or under the Connections setting. If I stay in the same WiFi area I'm fine but if the Surface Pro goes to Sleep ad I then use another hotspot-there are no connections present. Then I have to reboot

Brian S Friedlander
Surface MVP
Have you tried the rescan for device changes trick, instead of rebooting? I have lost my network devices a couple times (before the July Firmware) and scanning for hardware changes always brings it back with no reboots required.

Kif

I enabled hyper-v on my SP3 and I started having wireless issues. I restored my machine back to factory default and most of the issue went away. Sorry if this is old news.

foghat

I really hope they are looking at the 'not coming out of sleep' issue. 3 times over the past 2 days I have locked my sp3, only to have it not come alive after returning to my machine about 10-15 minutes later.