What's new

Spotting a Surface in the wild...

kristalsoldier

So, here I am sitting in a hotel bar in Toronto (which is about 8 hours flying time away across the Atlantic from where I live) and working on my Surface 2 and what do I see across the bar? Another person working on a Surface!

His device is either the Pro/ Pro2 or it is the Surface RT because of the colour. The kickstand is open, but I can't make out whether it is the one-step one or the newer 2-step one.

I never thought I would ever see a Surface in the wild, but here it is!

Edit: I am making this post in real-time, that is to say, I am currently in the bar and the guy using the Surface is sitting right across me!

postalmarky

Hopefully we will start seeing more and more out in the wild everyday. I just got my Surface 2 today and I will be taking it with me when I travel.

oion

Awesome.

I think the second gens are the ones with the new kickstand logo (Surface instead of the Windows logo) so you could tell, if you can see the logo anyway...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I see Surfaces in the wild, but I live in Seattle and in a very Microsoft centric environment.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

Awesome.

I think the second gens are the ones with the new kickstand logo (Surface instead of the Windows logo) so you could tell, if you can see the logo anyway...

That's the problem! I could not see very well in the darkened room. What I did notice though that he was playing around with the tiles a lot! Also, this guy was not a very young person. He looked to be like senior academic.

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

That's cool, I've only seen apples around.
Hope you guys shared an awkward stare :D

We did! But I did not bother to speak to him because I was engrossed in my work which was going rather well on my Surface 2. Seriously, this device is holding up like a champ.

I keep it off the charger for about 12 hours a day. I work on it for about 4-5 hours. At night I watch a movie (or two!) and I end up with on an average 40% of the battery charge remaining. I charge it back to 100% in the morning - when I am preparing to go out. This fast charging capability is really a blessing.

TunaSurface

That's beast! My surface pro cant handle more than 4 hours without a charge.
So what programs do you use to do work? Office?

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

That's beast! My surface pro cant handle more than 4 hours without a charge.
So what programs do you use to do work? Office?

Yup...generally a Word and a Powerpoint document with a bit of browser work too. Though I am careful with the browser as in my experience (and as has been pointed out on this forum a number of times) surfing does negatively impact the battery.

oion

I tend to go airplane mode when I want to get some serious writing done (also helps reduce distraction, heh).

I do wonder about how popular the Surface is in the uni scene, though, as I expect that's a much stronger and targeted audience for the RT line....

OP
kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier

I tend to go airplane mode when I want to get some serious writing done (also helps reduce distraction, heh).

I do wonder about how popular the Surface is in the uni scene, though, as I expect that's a much stronger and targeted audience for the RT line....

Sometimes I can do that if I don't need to access my reference texts on OneDrive, but usually I don't. As for how popular the Surface is - well, in the UK not much. In fact, till date I have not seen one yet - well, aside from my own reflection. In North America, from what I gathered at this conference, not much again. Its was all about iPads - well except for me and the guy I posted about, unfortunately.

benjitek

...Its was all about iPads - well except for me and the guy I posted about, unfortunately.
iPads are the standard when it comes to tablets, and they're a great tool. Microsoft is doing a pretty good job of getting the Surface onto TV shows though. Windows Phone and Surfaces seem to be used exclusively on Arrow and The Mindy Project -- I've seen them on other shows as well, just can't think of which ones. I do recall one where the good-guys had iOS and the baddies had Surface's ;-)