What's new

SP4 Type Cover not responding after idle

ChrisAu

Hi,

I have done a fair bit of research and found several posts on the forum here about type covers not working, I have a similar problem and wanted to see if anyone has a solution.

A family member and I also have a SP4 but on the family members surface when left idle for a few minutes the type cover stop responding, yet on my surface I don't have this problem.
When the type cover stops responding the touch screen still works and sometimes the type cover starts working again after coming out of tablet mode. After restarting the SP4 the type cover starts responding again but once left idle will stop responding again.

Steps attempted to fix
- Install latest Windows updates (1809 build)
- Uninstall "Surface Type Cover Filter Device" and install again
- Uninstall "Surface System Telemetry" and install again
- Two button boot
- Swapped my SP4 keyboard onto family members device
None of the above fixed the problem

Wevenhuis

I'm having the same problem with my SP5. This problem has started quite recently. say 12 months after purchase.

I can't figure out if this is a hardware of software problem. But as you pointed out a windows restart usually fixes it. But it is highly unproductive. It happens daily. I can't figure out why. It seems random, but happens often while I'm work at the most productive time of the day with my surface pro. It makes me think this is a software issue. Another reason I think it is software related because the keyboard does work again after I pull it of the surface and reconnect it 2-3 times. But in return it does something to the native keyboard language and changes the keyboard layout. The only way to fix it is either a restart of windows, or pull off the type cover and toggle between my keyboard languages with the virtual keyboard 2-3 times. It's truly an odd thing.

This is my windows feedback link: Feedback Hub - Windows Insider

It's in Dutch though. If you know another feedback link, please share it.

Turbo4AWD

Hi,

I have done a fair bit of research and found several posts on the forum here about type covers not working, I have a similar problem and wanted to see if anyone has a solution.

A family member and I also have a SP4 but on the family members surface when left idle for a few minutes the type cover stop responding, yet on my surface I don't have this problem.
When the type cover stops responding the touch screen still works and sometimes the type cover starts working again after coming out of tablet mode. After restarting the SP4 the type cover starts responding again but once left idle will stop responding again.

Steps attempted to fix
- Install latest Windows updates (1809 build)
- Uninstall "Surface Type Cover Filter Device" and install again
- Uninstall "Surface System Telemetry" and install again
- Two button boot
- Swapped my SP4 keyboard onto family members device
None of the above fixed the problem

Please clarify the steps in a "Two Button Boot"?

Otherwise, this issue was resolved for me on my Surface Pro 6 when I booted up to the Surface BIOS with the keyboard attached. Once in the BIOS, use the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard to see if it is responding. Once that's done, EXIT the BIOS and return to Windows 10, then test to see if the issue remains while idle as mentioned.

OP
C

ChrisAu

Please clarify the steps in a "Two Button Boot"?

Otherwise, this issue was resolved for me on my Surface Pro 6 when I booted up to the Surface BIOS with the keyboard attached. Once in the BIOS, use the up/down arrow keys on the keyboard to see if it is responding. Once that's done, EXIT the BIOS and return to Windows 10, then test to see if the issue remains while idle as mentioned.

I held down the power button and volume up button to enter UEFI. Once in there used both the trackpad and the up/down arrows. Exited and booted into windows and after leaving idle the type cover is still not responding, I can replicate this over and over as it happens almost every time the surface is booted.

Turbo4AWD

After entering BIOS and confirming the keyboard and mouse works, I do not have the issue return until months later, but it's not due to being idle, it just happens while I am using the device and I know to just enter bios again and use it again for months without issue. That is strange that it occurs during idle. Maybe it's a power management setting?