What's new

SP4 dont detect Type Cover 4

funky81

Happened with me last night. When i woke up my sp4, it can't detect the type cover 4.

At first, i thought bad connection then i try to detach and attach again but it still dont detect my keyboard, only virtual keyboard that appear on my screen. Not only keyboard, even backlight and touchpad dont even response.

Look up for several answer over microsoft sites

- clean, attach and detach => dont work

- hold + and power button lead to bios menu. touchpad in here is working, but somehow keyboard dont. but the strange is that afte restart, touchpad only working mili second over the login page, while keyboard and backlight still dont have any responses

- reset SP4 => still dont give any good results

I try to experiment with my friend's sp3. Turns out, type cover 4 response good with sp3, keyboard,backlight and touchpad all working....also when i attach type cover 3 in my sp4, it's all working even backlight also works.

I also try to buy new type cover 4 (yeah..it's expensive) with the speculation is that my type cover 4 is dying when I attach to my sp4. And guess what, it still dont response to the new sp4 type cover 4.

So what's the conclussion? Can you guys help me? it's $2K machine and it's broken within 6 months of usage

Please help...Thank

Aldec

Right Click on Microsoft cone (bottom left corner), click on Command Prompt (admin) and copy paste the following.
sfc /scannow
Press enter

Aldec

Open Settings, click on Devices then Connected Devices.
Is Type Cover noted there?....if not Click on Add Devices....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Also look under the Device Manager in see if the Type Cover Firmware is showing an exclamation mark, if so uninstall and reboot...

OP
F

funky81

Also look under the Device Manager in see if the Type Cover Firmware is showing an exclamation mark, if so uninstall and reboot...

1FPmVp3e6NLvxcoDvoel17ebFSyXBM8U

There's nothing unusual in the device manager..

Last edited:
OP
F

funky81

Possibly....do you have access to another type cover to check on yours?

Like in my first post

I try to experiment with my friend's sp3. Turns out, type cover 4 response good with sp3, keyboard,backlight and touchpad all working....also when i attach type cover 3 in my sp4, it's all working even backlight also works.

I also try to buy new type cover 4 (yeah..it's expensive) with the speculation is that my type cover 4 is dying when I attach to my sp4. And guess what, it still dont response to the new sp4 type cover 4.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Try this:

upload_2016-6-5_15-16-35.png

Uninstall and check the box to delete the drivers....Reboot without the cover on then from a clean reboot reattach the cover and see if it install correctly (You'll need internet connecting to install the drivers