What's new

SP3 will not sleep - Sleep mode no longer option in power management.

Sheldon

After the most resent firmware update I have began experiencing that it will no longer sleep. When I close the cover it always hibernates. Upon further investigation within the power management menus I discovered that the "sleep" option has disappeared completely. It only shows "Do nothing, Hibernate, Shutdown". The sleep option is what it shows initially, but upon clicking on the dropdown under Lid close action -> on battery, sleep disappears and I only have the above 3 options.

OP
S

Sheldon

I don't believe I have, at least not intentionally. My device would actually hibernate immediately upon closing the lid. I went ahead and did a refresh, and then immediately installed all windows updates and it seems to have fixed the problem. It must have been a bad update or something. Thank you for your reply.

OP
S

Sheldon

Alright, I have found the issue. This issue is caused by installing Express 2013 (w/ update 2), which also installs .net framework 4.5 and some other things. This causes me to now have 3 power plans and my sleep option ceases to exist.

ScottRox

I have the same problem. Regarding Hyper-V I installed Visual Studio Update 3 the other day and that probably coincides with when the sleep option disappeared. After the update I got a notification that Hyper V had been started.

Surface Pro 3 running Win 8.1 Pro.

How can I get the sleep option back?