What's new

SP3 - To run vmware smoothly in SP3.

Gail83

Hello All -

Eventually, I bought SP3 I5 256 GB. It is just perfect for me. I used for running VMWARE, I installed VMWARE 10 with Windows 7 ultimate.

I found if I run VMWARE, I can find the heat comes up, and the fan run faster. I only ran Office Applications e.g. Excel, and Ms outlook to check my email.

I am quite concerned with this since it made SP3 hot, and not comfortable.

Could you please advise if you have any tip how to run vmware without making the SP3 run without fan running very fast, and heat?
Or I am thinking to install Windows 7 basic instead of reset by myself.

Could you please ask your advice,

Many thanks, and appreciate your thoughts,

Thanks,

Haldi

i don't know about VMWARE the only thing i've used is Hyper-V with W10 browsing with Firefox isn't much of a difference than a normal w8.

wditters

There are some tips and tweaks to optimize VMware under Windows in general, but unfortunately even when tweaked to the bone, your SP3 fan will still kick in and remain 'relatively' audible. I have been working with VMware 10-11 for almost a year now, and have resigned myself to accepting a bit of fan noise (I have the SP3 i7 512). But rest assured, your SP3 will be fine even when your fan seems to be more active than usual. In almost a years time, my SP3 has never failed me in that sense, and has proven to be a very stable workhorse....

OP
G

Gail83

i don't know about VMWARE the only thing i've used is Hyper-V with W10 browsing with Firefox isn't much of a difference than a normal w8.
Hello Haldi -

Thanks a lot for the share. Did you find your SP3 get hot when you're running Hyper-V ❓

Kindly please ask your feedback ❓

Thanks,

OP
G

Gail83

There are some tips and tweaks to optimize VMware under Windows in general, but unfortunately even when tweaked to the bone, your SP3 fan will still kick in and remain 'relatively' audible. I have been working with VMware 10-11 for almost a year now, and have resigned myself to accepting a bit of fan noise (I have the SP3 i7 512). But rest assured, your SP3 will be fine even when your fan seems to be more active than usual. In almost a years time, my SP3 has never failed me in that sense, and has proven to be a very stable workhorse....
Thanks a lot wditters, appreciate much your sharing. You make my worry get lesser.

Btw, could you please advise what the tweak, and tips that you did for your SP3 ❓
Have you ever encountered the computer shutting down automatically due it's too hot ❓ I am using I5 8Gb, I think I am encountering throttling, due I find slower the Ms. Office that I ran via vmware ❓

Kindly please ask your thoughts,

Thanks,

OP
G

Gail83

I used quite a few VM optimizing settings that can be found (among others) on sites like http://artykul8.com/2012/06/vmware-performance-enhancing/. I also changed the VMware drivers inside my W7 guest with VMXNET3 network drivers and PVSCSI disk drivers ... That made the VM Guest run with a little less overhead.
Thanks a lot wditters. Noted with thanks on that. Let me try to change the driver.
Btw, I found out that if I ran Lync 2013, SP3 get warmed, and kicking the fans.
Hope changing the driver will make it less Overheat.

Many thanks, and appreciate your thoughts,

Cheers,