What's new

Solved Sp3: System and System interrups waste 20/25% cpu - heating

Enrico D.

I upgraded today and this is the surprice, yesterday was not doing it, today I used a micro sd usb device just to transfer 2 files I needed over 1 gb, and I removed it now.

I read around the web who had same issue with audio tests, etc etc but nothing to do.

I have Sp3 in the docking 3 right now.

Please help, with Cpu at 33% and more all the time I need to shut down the system because not able the fan to handle this bug..... I can't believe, no luck yet with Sp3.

Attachments

• cpu load.jpg
    cpu load.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 766

mitchellvii

Transferring files, running windows updates, syncing Dropbox/OneDrive, etc all make the fan blow, even when the CPU is not hot. IMHO this is preventative as a hot tablet is not a good thing.

As far as the System and Interrupts churning the CPU, no idea. My i5 just typing in this forum has System at .2%.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

I try to clarify. This is not happened just after I did the transfer. I know that in those cases the system resources make the cpu load high. Since this morning the load of cpu was 20/25% constantly, always, even if I was not doing nothing, but because I had to test my trading softwares, with them plus firefox I arrived easily to 35/40% so the sp3 get hot in few minutes and fan always on at quite high speed.

I have read that many users are experienced this issue, and because this overheat may be that who has overheat problems and have not checked the taskmanager do not know about those 2 system/system interrupts that are causing this.

Because today surfing I found a person that said that removing the docking it stopped, I did it, and in fact now that 2 lines are disappeared from taskmanager and not caused the cpu overload for nothing.

Now I'm ok, but....... it's crazy, because not only yesterday I was trying to solve the issue of docking 3 is having with the mini display port not able to manage my 30 inch monitor with a mdp to dvi-d startech adapter active, not today there is also this issue! this mean that I need to give up on the docking??

I just wanted to open this thread hoping that somebody had the same issue and we can figure out what is going on.....

as far as I know I have read that this issue was caused by a micro sd card plugged in the usb port that caused some issue or conflict with drivers of realtek audio, somebody was able to solve the issue playing an audio file and the cput load was going down, as soon as they was stopping the audio the cpu load came back to 20/25% load etc etc

let's try to understand what to do! I will updated users on the thread about the docking not working with mini display port... if the docking is causing even this issue I can't use it at all...........

Crazy, but at least we want to know what to do. thanks a lot for reading.

mitchellvii

From what I have read, the dock has lots of problems. IMHO it is trying to do too much from one data bus. Think about it, displayport, multiple usb 3 ports, audio and power in all from the same connection.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
From what I have read, the dock has lots of problems. IMHO it is trying to do too much from one data bus. Think about it, displayport, multiple usb 3 ports, audio and power in all from the same connection.
I can't agree with that. I use a USB 3 dock with Gig Ethernet connection, 2 monitors. USB kybd/mouse, USB HDD. with no problems.

I have seen the System/System Interrupts anomaly and its one of those Random bugs floating around. I don't have a Microsoft Surface Dock. not sure what caused it or cleared it up. I did try the realtech trick but it didn't really work, it stopped only while I was messing with the control as soon as I exited that it started up again. This reminds me of MS Access 2.0 that used 100% CPU but if you did anything else it would yield then go right back to 100%.

mitchellvii

I can't agree with that. I use a USB 3 dock with Gig Ethernet connection, 2 monitors. USB kybd/mouse, USB HDD. with no problems.

I have seen the System/System Interrupts anomaly and its one of those Random bugs floating around. I don't have a Microsoft Surface Dock. not sure what caused it or cleared it up. I did try the realtech trick but it didn't really work, it stopped only while I was messing with the control as soon as I exited that it started up again. This reminds me of MS Access 2.0 that used 100% CPU but if you did anything else it would yield then go right back to 100%.

But you are comparing apples to oranges. Your usb 3 port dock is not being used to also power the SP3, the data bus dock is. Power means heat, heat means problems.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
But you are comparing apples to oranges. Your usb 3 port dock is not being used to also power the SP3, the data bus dock is. Power means heat, heat means problems.
No correlation there. 12 pins used for power are separate from the additional pins used for data. The power connector is not getting hot or even warm. Hard for me to see but it looks like 40-44 pins total in that Surface power/port connector. Rumored to be a custom PCI Express bus but it could be separate DP and USB connections.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

for what I understand surface pro 2 have less issues and the tablet that replace the laptop/desktop, we with newer technology we are steps behind the sp2 :)

mitchellvii

No correlation there. 12 pins used for power are separate from the additional pins used for data. The power connector is not getting hot or even warm. Hard for me to see but it looks like 40-44 pins total in that Surface power/port connector. Rumored to be a custom PCI Express bus but it could be separate DP and USB connections.

Dunno, just guessing, but to me mixing power in and data out on the same port is asking for trouble, and the dock does seem to have issues.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
for what I understand surface pro 2 have less issues and the tablet that replace the laptop/desktop, we with newer technology we are steps behind the sp2 :)
The SP2 had startup issues as well ... I haven't seen what appears to be an insurmountable issue on the SP3 so these should all be stabilized in a couple or few months... I'm predicting thru December 2014 the SP3 will be improving as it has so far. I do hope MS learns from this and takes care of these issues in the future before release.

If your testing and you see an issue, guaranteed when it hits the masses there will be plenty of people seeing it. Margins testing, limit testing are critical... you just can't go by; under normal circumstances it works most of the time for most people.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunno, just guessing, but to me mixing power in and data out on the same port is asking for trouble, and the dock does seem to have issues.
The Docks issues appear to be bad quality control. Power and data in a bus is standard fare and barring a complete engineering breakdown/failure should not present a problem.

Rowan

I had the exact same issue and was contemplating trying to get a replacement. It turns out that I was running a bazillion useless background issues. I was idling at 26-28%. Here is how I fixed my I5 128 S3.

1. I did a windows refresh. It removes all your programs but keeps your Apps and data stored on the computer and then reinstalls windows.

2. I re-installed the programs I needed.

3. I downloaded a program called CCleaner (its amazing).

4. I downloaded a program called Speedfan to monitor core temp and fan speed.

Everday when I log into my computer I run CCleaner and the registry fix on it (two step process).

My S3 now idles at less than 1% and NEVER gets hot. The fan never needs to run. The temp never exceeds 37 C. My S3 is now everything I wanted. :D