What's new

SP3 Dock vs Plugable UD-3900

Jejagua

Need dual monitor support. Both solutions seem capable.

dock pros:
includes power adapter, uses GPU, SP3 USB remains avail, fewer cables hanging off the side

dock cons:
sits at a set angle (does not adjust?), Not available until Aug 15

Leaning towards the dock. Any other reasons I should get the plugable?

graye

Need dual monitor support. Both solutions seem capable.

dock pros:
includes power adapter, uses GPU, SP3 USB remains avail, fewer cables hanging off the side

dock cons:
sits at a set angle (does not adjust?), Not available until Aug 15

Leaning towards the dock. Any other reasons I should get the plugable?

I guess the thing I dislike the most about the Plugable is that I have to have both the power and USB cables connected to my Surface (plus the power connector for the Plugable itself). It makes for a messy connection... with cables all over the place. With the dock, I'll be able to keep the Surface's power adapter in the carrying case (since I won't need it while it's in the dock)... and I won't need a USB cable on my desk connecting the two devices.

ipaq_101

If you want a clean look, buy the dock. If you want something you can use with any current or future machine, then buy the UD-3900.

Both will get the job done, but if you are like me, who likes to upgrade often, then I think the UD-3900 will be a better buy long term.

Last edited:

JesseDiaz

Im still debating on the dock. My main reason for the dock was the multi monitors but I can do it without a dock my just daisy chaining 3 external monitors....Id be missing out on a set charger, yes. And an Ethernet port, which I don't even use now......so I think I might be good without one

OP
J

Jejagua

I bought the Plugable and so far it has been rock solid. We'll see how well the dock is received next month. IMHO though, the argument against the Plugable being more future proof is that it lacks display port so will not support higher resolutions. Device agnostic though is a plus.

Knuck

If your not interested in the sleek, clean design of the Microsoft Dock then why spend the extra money on the Pluggable. Just buy a USB 3.0 powered hub and, if you need it, a USB/Gigabit adapter. 3 Plugs to the Surface, power, display and USB. As neat and convenient as the Pluggable but less costly.

kodos

The big draw for me is the multi-monitor potential of the SP3 dock. I am looking at purchasing another external monitor that I really like that doesn't have a DP chaining (and neither does my existing external monitor). Not a fan of USB monitor solutions, so the dock seems like the way to go for my needs. Plus it looks cool.

Unfortunately, like my Power Cover, it will be obsolete when the SP4 comes out (more than likely) :(

Tom

My main concern with the dock is the angle for writing. Unless I kludge up a stand, I doubt that the angle will work for me. I'll probably wait for dock reviews.

Tom

An advantage with a universal is that I can hide it under my desk and hide some of the cabling with it (at the expense of having more connectors to attach to the SP3).