What's new

SP3 Dock USB3 issue with USB3 Harddrive Dock

ynohtna

This is a good one I swear :)

For this specific issue, I have a USB3 harddrive dock collecting dust cause I could never get a reliable connection with my Lenovo Helix.

Now that I have an SP3, I figure I try it again in the SP3 single USB3 connector. It seems to work! My test, (that failed before with the Helix), was transferring 20gigs of pictures from the SP3 SSD to the usb3 dock and it worked great for that. Also my other test of opening picture folders and letting the thumbnails get generated for large folders like 1000+ images at average 4-5megs each scrolling up and down really fast, passed with flying colours. It's everything I dreamed USB3 to be.

HOWEVER. I plug the dock into the SP3 DOCK station usb3 port. The drive won't even come up. All I hear is the sound of a new device connecting... disconnecting, reconnecting.... disconnecting, reconnecting.... disconnecting and etc.

What's even more fascinating is that I have a USB3 hub in my Dell U2413. I have that plugged into the SP3 DOCK. When I plug the harddrive dock into the monitor, it works great!

I have a Satechi USB3 4 port hub as well. I plugged that into the dock, plugged the USB3 harddrive dock to the Satechi USB3 4 port hub and it works great.

I don't understand what is wrong with the SP3 DOCK by itself.

bluegrass

Sorry. But I have to say, "welcome to the world of computing". I've been servicing computers for 45 years now & nothing surprises me any more. I have troubleshot problems down to the frame or case through process of elimination from replacing parts. Sometimes I have been left with a work around as the only solution to making something work. I wish I could have given you a definitive answer. Plug & Play works most of the time but not always.

Last edited:

olimjj

If you have a Y usb3 cable, utilize that and make the connection to 2 USB3 ports on you DOCK for extra supplied power.

OP
Y

ynohtna

Yea but you mean to say there's nothing wrong with the stock? It's pretty clear that MS need to fix something on the dock no?

also the hard drive dock is self powered

malberttoo

Yea but you mean to say there's nothing wrong with the stock? It's pretty clear that MS need to fix something on the dock no?

It is obvious by the number of users that have had problems with the docks, that there is something not right with , or at least with certain batches of them. Too many users have complained of docks not working with multiple kinds or brands of cables, while others using the exact same cables report no issues.

My gut feeling is that there are issues in certain batches of the docks. Beyond that I can't say.

OP
Y

ynohtna

so it's more of a, goto the store, try to show them and then get a new one?

Scared though, I'm otherwise happy with my Dock! :)

Bandito

It sounds like the USB3 port in the dock is a port that runs directly off of the SP3 and is therefore unpowered (has no additional source of power). The extra circuitry to get the signals out through the dock may be enough to reduce the power supplied to your hard drive dock by just enough to make it unreliable.

All of the other hubs that you've used are powered USB hubs that have their own power supply, so they are able to provide enough power to operate your hard drive dock.

olimjj

also the hard drive dock is self powered

It has been my experience that even "self powered" docks ,many of which are older low efficiency units, have difficulty depending on the number of units(loads) connected to them, especially if the USB source port is underdamped; in which case it will need a a Y-cable or external power source to assist. Try it in that mode and see if it works. That will at least answer some questions. The SP3 dock has to allocate and limit its power available to all the ports provided according to its designed priority and capability without overloading.

dleuen

Yes, my Surface Dock seems underpowered too. I am able to run my USB3 hard drive but not both it and my Logitech webcam. Was a little surprised and not in a pleasant way about the lack of power being delivered to the USB ports by the SP3 dock.