What's new

SP3 black screen with mouse cursor after sleep

UKAussi

We purchased 6 SP3s and have various employees using them as a test to determine if we add this product as an option to our regular Lenovo laptops as part of our asset refresh list.

They are all working great except for one very annoying issue.

Occassionally when the device has gone into sleep mode (connected standby) it will not wake up correctly and displays a black screen with just the mouse cursor visible.
The mouse cursor is movable but no keyboard commands appear to work including ctrl+alt+delete.
The windows home button does vibrate when touched but does not cause any change.

Interestingly, you can RDP to the device as a different user but you get the same black screen with mouse cursor and no key commands seem to function including ctrl+alt+end etc.

For some of the users it seems to be fine for a week and then starts again after what they claim were MS updates but cannot verify this.

Again, this if for 5 of our 6 users. One is not experiencing the issue but his SP3 was created from the same image and has the same applications. All have been updated to latest updates.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using a Corporate Image or the stock image? This is typically caused by the video driver not coming out of Connected Standby correctly.

If this was a Corporate Image, make sure it complies to these best practices:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/...pro-3-using-microsoft-deployment-toolkit.aspx

And depending on deploy methodology, it would be good to integrate this MSI into the deployment:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=38826

For further assistance, Microsoft has made an online course specifically around deployment of the SP3 found here:
http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/training-courses/surface-pro-3-deployment

OP
U

UKAussi

STOCK image on all devices.

We are using the STOCK image on device 1 (which is having issues)
We are using a Clonezilla image for the remaining 5 (4 having issues)
The Clonezilla image was created by setting up a STOCK image, removing from domain and running SysPrep.

I also manually installed an updated driver directly from Intel (dated 3/15 I believe) on one of the cloned devices having issues and the problem did not get resolved.
I did verify on this device that the video driver had not reverted back to the old driver (11/2014) as some users had mentioned in various forums due to MS updates.

This was done prior to being able to RDP to one of the devices (we had it disabled) but now I know I can and that I get the same black screen with white cursor this would seem to eliminate a video driver issue as RDP uses its own drivers.

The only option I have not explored is that there is an issue on EVERY device with EXPLORE.EXE but have not verified this as couldnot bring up task manager on the PC I had for a while with the issue.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
STOCK image on all devices.

We are using the STOCK image on device 1 (which is having issues)
We are using a Clonezilla image for the remaining 5 (4 having issues)
The Clonezilla image was created by setting up a STOCK image, removing from domain and running SysPrep.

I also manually installed an updated driver directly from Intel (dated 3/15 I believe) on one of the cloned devices having issues and the problem did not get resolved.
I did verify on this device that the video driver had not reverted back to the old driver (11/2014) as some users had mentioned in various forums due to MS updates.

This was done prior to being able to RDP to one of the devices (we had it disabled) but now I know I can and that I get the same black screen with white cursor this would seem to eliminate a video driver issue as RDP uses its own drivers.

The only option I have not explored is that there is an issue on EVERY device with EXPLORE.EXE but have not verified this as couldnot bring up task manager on the PC I had for a while with the issue.
Do a factory reset on one of the devices (assuming you still have the recovery partition if not you'll need to download the recovery image). If that resolves the issue it would point to Clonezilla's implementation of laying the image on the SSD.

OP
U

UKAussi

Currently doing a clean build on a 7th device.

Just a reminder that our original SP3 was not imaged and is having the same issue.
I also manually checked MS updates on every SP3 multiple times after being imaged prior to deploying to end user

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you using USB based Docking Stations that use DisplayLink Virtual Video Drivers?

OP
U

UKAussi

We are using both MS docks and Targus USB 3 Port replicators using Displaylink.
Users of both types have the issue

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
We are using both MS docks and Targus USB 3 Port replicators using Displaylink.
Users of both types have the issue
Are the DisplayLink Drivers installed on all machines? This has been an on going issue with these drivers on S0iX Machines, heading over to www.displaylink.com and updating to the latest might help....

OP
U

UKAussi

Are the DisplayLink Drivers installed on all machines? This has been an on going issue with these drivers on S0iX Machines, heading over to www.displaylink.com and updating to the latest might help....

Hmm.. that is possible for the last 5 created from image as I was using the Targus dock in the lab when I created the image.

Unlikely the 1st SP3 has the drivers though as we had not purchased any docks of any kind when he got that one

OP
U

UKAussi

Hmm.. that is possible for the last 5 created from image as I was using the Targus dock in the lab when I created the image.

Unlikely the 1st SP3 has the drivers though as we had not purchased any docks of any kind when he got that one

2 of the problem SP3's have definitely never used a USB DisplayPort port replicator and do not have any drivers installed

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
2 of the problem SP3's have definitely never used a USB DisplayPort port replicator and do not have any drivers installed
Look for the common issue, what you're experiencing is wide spread enough that it is being caused by a common driver or application as this is not normal behavior of the SP3.