What's new

SP2 waking from sleep mode in Win10

thilliard

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and I can't get the tablet to stay in Sleep mode. It wakes up after about 30-60 specs. Anybody else having this problem?

benjitek

I had that problem with my SP2 and Windows 8.x. I changed the power button to hibernate instead of sleep and never had a problem after. Being a SSD, power-ups from hibernate are extremely quick. One of the first things I changed after doing a clean install of W10 on my SP2...

GoodBytes

by doing: powercfg -lastwake on the command prompt, you can see what is the last device/program/service that wakes up the computer.
Probably the system wants to do its maintenance cycle. I recommend to disable sleep, place the device in a cool place, open the Action center of Windows 7/8 (Search for action center on the search box/Cortana), and select "Security & Maintenance", expand Maintenance section, and click on Start and let it run. There is no progress bar sadly, so leave it overnight.

Once done, restart your system, re-enable sleep, and see if it helps

Anony1111

Had the same problem too.

I configured the power settings to

1) turn the display off after 5 mins
2) enter sleep mode after 10mins

Problem went away.

Philtastic

I recently got fed up with using hibernate that I went searching for any work arounds and found out that, for whatever reason, the keyboard ends up waking it up immediately. I confirmed this by removing the Type 2 keyboard and then trying to put it to sleep which it didn't automatically wake up from. The work around is to go to device manager, keyboards as well as mice, properties of your keyboards/mice, power management, and disable them from waking the computer up. This allows the SP2 to stay in sleep mode.

OP
T

thilliard

I recently got fed up with using hibernate that I went searching for any work arounds and found out that, for whatever reason, the keyboard ends up waking it up immediately. I confirmed this by removing the Type 2 keyboard and then trying to put it to sleep which it didn't automatically wake up from. The work around is to go to device manager, keyboards as well as mice, properties of your keyboards/mice, power management, and disable them from waking the computer up. This allows the SP2 to stay in sleep mode.

Many thanks for your persistence on this. I tried it and the solution seems to work perfectly.